Thursday, December 01, 2011

Payment - the Chinese Way

The Chinese Way is threatening to become a major series on here, I know. I will try to contain my curmudge, but... there's just been an awful lot of This is China! weird shit happening to me just lately.



The latest instalment...

One of the academic publishers I work for just paid me for a couple of articles. I queried why they had apparently still not paid me for one of the ones I'd edited for them three months or so back (originally, I'd been told that this was intended for a different journal, with a later publication date, and so I wouldn't be paid for it for about three months - this now appears to have been a complete lie).  My contact there went ominously silent on me for a while. Then she confessed that - owing to some strange botch-up by their accountants, nothing at all to do with her - it appeared that this fee had been paid to another of their foreign editors.

Straightforward solution, anywhere else in the world: authorise a new payment to be made to me; reclaim the inadvertent payment to the other editor via a deduction from their next set of fees.

The Chinese Way: ask the other editor to pay me the money.... and give them my bank account details so they can do that without asking me first.



I am absolutely LIVID, and am in danger of blowing another long-term job out of the water with an effusion of scornful complaint. (They don't take criticism well, the Chinese; they sulk and pout and convince themselves it was really your fault; and decide they don't need the hassle of working with someone who states their opinions honestly...)

The fires of my wrath were further stoked by the fact that my contact - a young woman who acts as a sort of supervising editor - attempted to pacify me by explaining that it is "perfectly normal in China" to give away people's private bank account information to third parties without their consent.

Unfortunately, I fear, what this equates to is that bad manners, lack of common sense, and crass incompetence are perfectly normal in China.


2 comments:

stuart said...

Another example of China's lamentable record of 'passing the buck'.

Btw, sent an email to your yahoo account, froog. Pic attached, so may get sent to spam folder.

John said...

So glad your month long obsessive-compulsiveness is over and we're back to the verbose again (and that you didn't decide to make good on your thoughts on giving up for good too of course!)
You should know by now that I for one am a huge fan of your ranting posts and while I admit it's partly due to my enjoyment in sharing in venting against that great big silly country you call home it's also simply that someone is actually mentioning these things in a place where people would rather the general policy be hush hush. Please don't feel for one second that you are overdoing it, as far as I'm concerned I can't get enough!