Tuesday, January 04, 2011

More tell-tale signs

I had to finish off a bumper editing task over the weekend, polishing up a couple of  long "academic" articles on the troubles of the EMU.


The second one was particularly conspicuous in containing - in amongst the occasional linking passages of characteristically garbled or illogical Chinglish - about 80% near-perfect English, which could, of course, only have come from some uncredited native speaker source (a problem I've commented on here before).

There were a few little hints here and there - partly removed section headings or hyper-links! - which gave me an inkling of what the cheerfully plagiarising authors' principal source might have been.  When I came across "(see Main Article...)", my suspicions were confirmed: YES, they had lifted the entire thing from Wikipedia!

Ah, China.

2 comments:

stuart said...

Priceless! Now wait for the indignation when they realise they've been rumbled.

Froog said...

Oh, they'll just go ahead and publish anyway. Chinese academic journals in English are pure vanity projects. I'd say probably about 99% of Chinese academic output is a joke to the rest of the world.