Monday, November 09, 2009

On the move

Finally, I have committed to a change of domicile.  At the end of this month, I will be moving into a new apartment.
 
It's hardly a big leap geographically (the new place is less than half a mile due south of my current location) or in terms of lifestyle (the standard of decoration and fittings is pretty much identical to my current place; it's just a bit smaller, and therefore cheaper). 
 
Nevertheless, it will be quite an upheaval for me.  I've been in the same place for just over 5 years and 3 months now; and I've accumulated a lot of stuff in that time.  I figure the packing up is probably going to take up every spare minute of the next three weeks.
 
Phew!  That is the longest I've ever lived anywhere, by quite some margin (since the house I grew up in, anyway).  There haven't been too many places I have lasted even one full year in.
 
But that has been the problem, I think.  I've got stale about this place.  It bores me now.
 
 
And, lately, it's been making me ill.  The traffic noise on the 2nd Ringroad at night has become much worse since I've been living here, and is now impossible to sleep through without earplugs.  And now the annual curse of the clacking and creaking of the central heating pipes has started up again.  So, I'm not sleeping well at night.  And a never-ending round of renovations in the apartments downstairs means that it's tough to catch up on sleep during the day either.
 
The new place is, I hope, going to be much quieter.  If it is, I may spend my first two or three weeks there asleep.
 

No comments: