Friday, January 04, 2008

A 'feeling sick' haiku

Bad Nights

Ghosts stalk the wakeful
Night; fevered half-sleep torments;
Half-dreams even worse.


Since the start of the week I have been going down with the most appalling cold (or maybe it's 'flu? or maybe it's just a delayed allergic reaction to all the crap that was in the air at the end of last week?); but I ventured out on New Year's Eve anyway (probably a mistake!), and since then I have been suffering with aches and pains, a splitting head, intermittent mild fever, and the infuriating persistent throat-tickle that we have come to know as 'Beijing Throat', and which can be guaranteed to prevent you getting any sleep at all - at least during the conventional hours of nighttime.

I think the fever finally broke yesterday, and even the pesky itchy throat was much improved by the end of the evening (lots of baijiu hot toddies!) - but I still had a very poor night's sleep. I am a panda-eyed zombie. Too many other anxieties looming over me at the moment, I fear.

No comments: