A follow-up to this quiz from 18 months ago: here are some more of the (mostly) very well-known lines from Western cinema that I have occasionally tested and taunted Chinese students with. I've tended, in fact, to use it as an Internet search exercise rather than a straight quiz, because even film students usually exhibit almost zero recognition for any lines like this. It's hard for the Chinese to remember quotations in English, and there just isn't the pop culture background here to reinforce the memory of the great lines. After all, these things probably become fixed in our heads as much through our quoting them at each other as through their original occurrence in the films themselves. [Hence, I'll repeat my previous disclaimer: I wouldn't vouch for the absolute accuracy of the wording in each of these quotes. When we're talking about the prominence of a line in popular culture, frequent repetition outside of the original context will often introduce small changes here and there - and these changes may even occasionally be slight improvements on the original. It's an impossible task to try to verify each of these. So, please don't carp at supposed small inaccuracies. In this context, I think it's enough that a line should be recognisable.]
As usual, I'll add the answers in the COMMENTS below in a week or so. Good luck!
1) “What does it matter what you say about people when they’re dead? He was some kind of a man, that’s all.”
2) “Are you ready, Jack?” “I was born ready.”
3) "Got a light?" [No, really. There is a link to No. 2 above.]
4) “Wake up – time to die!”
5) “Next time I say ‘Let’s go someplace like Bolivia’, let’s go someplace like Bolivia.”
6) “I thought you said your dog didn’t bite?” “It’s not my dog.”
7) "The old man's still an artist with the Thompson."
8) “I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this any more!”
9) “I’ll show you the life of the mind!”
10) “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
11) “No – I’m Spartacus.”
12) “I can’t marry you!” “Why not?” “I’m a man.” “Nobody’s perfect.”
12) “Show me the money!”
14) “Go ahead, punk – make my day.”
15) “I don’t think we’re in Kansas any more.”
16) “When the legend becomes fact... print the legend.”
17) “You don’t have to follow me. You don’t have to follow anyone. You’re all individuals.” “YES! WE’RE ALL INDIVIDUALS!”
18) "Rock stars have kidnapped my son."
19) “What have the Swiss ever given us? The cuckoo clock!”
20) “Come with me, if you want to live.”
ANSWERS now added in the comments below.