Saturday, June 25, 2011

Film List - Great chat-up lines

Another little cinematic quiz for you, to end up the month.

This time, some of my most fondly remembered pick-up lines from the movies. I'll put the sources in a comment in a few days' time.

Well, OK, some of these are more flirtation between established couples than cold pick-ups. And one or two of the attempted pick-ups were spectacularly unsuccessful.

Quite a short list this month. Sorry - a bit braindead after recent ill health and poor sleeping. Will try to do better next time. At least I got it up to a nice round number - a Chinese 'lucky 8'.




Favourite Chat-up Lines from the Movies



"You like poetry? Come upstairs - I've got a poem for you."


"Girls who glide need men who make them thump."


"If I win, I get to take you home. If you win, you can come home with me."


"I'm just adjusting your breasts. They got all out of whack."


"Take me to bed or lose me forever."


"You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and blow."


"I'm kind of a big deal around here. People know me."


"Come with me if you want to live."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see your making good on your promise to bait some commenting :p

Got half of 'em.

I am embarrassed to admit I actually used one of those... and it worked! Even worse, I believe only two of those lines were uttered by female characters and one of those was the one I used. The movie was hugely popular when I was in high school (and I'm under 45 so that should tell you which one I am referring to) and I felt like a total cheeseball throwing the line out there in a last ditch effort to round the bases. Still can't believe it worked.

#7, I think we've had debates here before about the brilliance of that movie, that others have not come to appreciate yet. So many funny lines, I'd say its probably my favorite comedy of the 2000s and the fact that you are able to appreciate it as well even though it is filled with a ton of Americana subtlety (that I don't think a lot of overseas folks can pick up on), speaks to how much comedic content is packed in it.

Stay classy.

Froog said...

Ah, for those of us born in the '60s, Top Gun was a landmark in our personal development - or lack of it. I am very glad to know that that line has worked for someone. I've never had the nerve to try it out myself.

Anchorman, apart from being a very, very good comedy, seems almost cynically crafted to be, in particular, a catchphrase goldmine: so many of its most memorable lines are readily adaptable to 'everyday' use - "Are you sure this is a shortcut?", "Leave the mothers out of this.", "That escalated quickly, didn't it?", "60% of the time, it works every time." (I use that last one pretty much any time I discuss statistics with my students.)

Froog said...

"You like poetry? Come upstairs - I've got a poem for you."

'Moonpie' (John Beck) to Girl At Party, in Rollerball (1975)



"Girls who glide need men who make them thump."

Jimmy 'The Saint' Tosnia (Andy Garcia) to Dagney (Gabrielle Anwar) in Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead (1995)



"If I win, I get to take you home. If you win, you can come home with me."

Tommy Basilio (Steve Buscemi) to Crystal (Debi Mazar) in Trees Lounge (1996)
[She responds, "What kind of deal is that? That doesn't make sense to me." And he says, "It is a good deal. It's a very good deal - for me."]


"I'm just adjusting your breasts. They got all out of whack."

Rigby Reardon (Steve Martin) to Juliet Forest (Rachel Ward) in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)


"Take me to bed or lose me forever."

Carole (Meg Ryan) to [her husband] 'Goose' (Anthony Edwards) in Top Gun (1986)



"You know how to whistle, don't you? You just put your lips together and blow."

Marie 'Slim' Browning (Lauren Bacall) to Harry 'Steve' Morgan(Humphrey Bogart) in To Have And Have Not (1944)


"I'm kind of a big deal around here. People know me."

Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) to Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) in Anchorman (2004)


"Come with me if you want to live."

Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn) to Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) in The Terminator (1984)