Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Strange fruit

I just noticed some strange white objects scattered all over my terrace - whitish, wedge-shaped, a couple of inches or so long.

I wondered for a moment if someone down in the street had been pelting my apartment with jiaozi, the little dumplings that are especially associated with this holiday. Maybe bombarding foreigners with unwanted surplus jiaozi is becoming a quaint new Spring Festival tradition?

No. On closer examination, I discovered these alien objects to be large cloves of garlic.

The Chinese are prone to using their window ledges as larders, and when it gets a little windy... some of the food may get dumped on people down below.

Alas, I already have a couple of bulbs of garlic in stock, so I don't think I'm going to be able to make use of my unexpected windfall.


No comments: