Thursday, December 29, 2011

Making a point

Earlier this year, a Chinese businessman from Qingdao hired a team of workers to trash his brand new Lamborghini Gallardo with sledgehammers, because he was dissatisfied with the after-sales service he'd received from the car's China distributor.

Now, I've been known to suffer the odd fit of pique myself from time to time, especially over unsatisfactory service. And I appreciate the cathartic thrill of a bit of wanton destruction occasionally. Better out than in, and all that.

But I do worry that the Chinese tend to lose their rag rather more easily than most other peoples, often over the most trivial of slights.... and then to lose all sense of proportionality in their response to the perceived insult.  And these bloody cars cost something like 5 million RMB, for heaven's sake! Remember what I was saying about China's new breed of tycoons the other week? More money than sense!!




At least this chap did this (partly) to help publicise World Consumer Rights Day on March 15th.

However, this is a class of consumer for whom I find it difficult to muster any respect.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Once I did that with an electric pencil sharpener that ate pencils rather than sharpen them. After smashing it, I sent it back with a note of dissatisfaction.

A week later I received a phone call asking me why I sent the company the sharpener, since they neither sell nor make them. I had sent the package to the wrong address. Talk about a waste of time, energy, and money. I felt pathetic.

Froog said...

As obscure threats go, that's one of the best. I bet the folks who received your trashed pencil-sharpener were spooked!