Friday, October 07, 2011

Chinese pedestrians, please take note

(And bicyclists too, of course. And drivers as well, come to that - though they never take any notice of anything!)


Runners do not have brakes.

Even if you're only plodding along at a modest 6 or 7 mph, it's almost impossible to stop or slow down significantly in less than 4 or 5 strides. Changes of direction, even quite small ones, are also next to impossible - particularly if your knee cartilages are shot, as mine are.

I know it is 'the Chinese way' to studiously ignore everything and everyone around you, and to just assume that others will notice you and take necessary evasive action. That might work surprisingly well most of the time with the types of traffic you're used to encountering on the streets of Beijing. I'm afraid it doesn't work with runners. We are not able to do much in the way of taking evasive action, even if we desired to.

No, if you step into my path one yard in front of me when I'm running.... you are going to GET HIT. I'm sorry - but there's nothing I can do about it.


No comments: