Wednesday, May 04, 2011

What was that?

On trendy Beijing shopping alley Nanluoguxiang, Cultural Revolution era kitsch is very much the flavour-of-the-month (very largely "thanks" [I'm not so thankful about it myself] to the runaway success of one of the earliest boutiques down there, the British-run Plastered T-Shirts).

A little while ago, I spotted this mousemat down there - with the baffling slogan:

All for wife eats to calculate everything painstakingly.

Well, that's how it's rendered in the "English version".  My Chinese isn't up to deciphering the original (Help, Weeble? Anyone?); and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to make out in this hastily taken snapshot below (god, I hate my digital cameras - but that's another rant!!). I suspect it's an exhortation to housewives to take an especially prudential approach to budgeting for their food shopping.... or something.

2 comments:

MAC said...

It means "What's enduring a little hardship for wife?"

Froog said...

Do you mean it's good for a husband to endure a little hardship for the sake of his wife, or it's good for a wife to endure a little hardship (for the sake of her husband)?

And how the heck does the translation get mangled up that badly??