Sunday, October 17, 2010

Recently, on the Barstool...

I haven't done one of my roundups on what's been happening over at 'the other place' for a month or so now, so.....

It's been mostly about the music of late, with YouTube postings of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin (unhappy anniversaries just passed) and Cesária Évora.  And, donning my semi-serious hat for a moment, I have questioned whether Beijing now has too many music festivals for its own good (YES!!).


And I have railed - again - against the abominable vice of Twitter.

Go and check some of this good stuff out.

2 comments:

JES said...

I'm not going to raise your hackles by mentioning Tw*tt*r here but I did enjoy your rant over there, including the back-and-forth in the comments with The Weeble.

While I do use... that particular Internet thingum, I don't contribute much of my own to the stream. It's a Sturgeon's Law demonstration, writ large (and very publicly). I truly don't understand why people follow hundreds of others -- it's just too hard to sort out the beans from the gravel. But if you carefully select your followees, I find (despite my general scorn for triviality, especially the celebration of triviality) that it can honestly be interesting and useful in ways that blogging hasn't got a chance to achieve.

(I can't remember if you use Google Reader or another blog-feed subscription service. Most people, I think, use T*etc. as if they were using a wide-open, non-selective Google Reader. Which would be ridiculous for full-length blog posts, because not every blog is worth reading -- even blogs by people one knows -- and certainly not every blog POST. But if you follow only (say) dozens of blogs it becomes manageable and not so crazy. Same with the T-thing.)

Froog said...

There's a particular problem with the T-thing in Beijing where only a relatively small proportion of people use it, but.... that happens to encompass quite a large proportion of my (former) friends. And they do - mostly, it seems, quite unconsciously - start substituting it for every means of communication (including face-to-face conversation).

It's a nasty, silly, destructive fad, and I want nothing to do with it.

And it's destroying blogging - which (guiltily) I quite like.