Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Speeding

My new apartment comes with a pleasingly cheap deal on Internet connection.
 
I was a bit dubious when I learned that it was a local intranet just for my compound: these systems have a bit of a bad rep in general, and the one at my last place was completely bloody useless.
 
However, I'm told the problems usually arise in buildings with very high use - i.e., buildings where there are lots of teens and twenty-somethings.  My neighbours seem to be predominantly middle-aged, and it is entirely possible that I am one of the only people logged on to this network at present.
 
The speed is impressively fast - even running multiple windows simultaneously via Tor.  (Hmm, I haven't tried any big downloads or live video streams yet, though...)
 
 
It would appear that most of the connectivity problems that have plagued me over the past 5 years were largely down to the crappy wiring in my old building (and perhaps also partly to the crappy connector box China Netcom provided).
 
This is a brave new world....
 
 
[The one fly in the ointment is that I had omitted to check for wireless network signals before signing up to this service - and claiming the additional discount for paying a year's subscription in advance.  There are several, one of which is very strong and consistent, and much faster even than the intranet connection (it is 'unsecured', but I don't think that's much of a problem).  So, perhaps I needn't have paid anything for my Internet connection....]
 
 

No comments: