Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The final hurdle

Registering one's "temporary" residence with the "local" police station shouldn't be that hard.  Particularly with the assistance of a friendly and cooperative landlord.
 
Unfortunately, the friendly and cooperative landlord wasn't free to help me with that until today, and we are really supposed to get it done within 24 hours.  One hears occasional dire stories of local coppers trying to extort on-the-spot fines of 500 rmb per day for "late" registration.  However, that's usually in cases of people being severely late.  Since I only finished moving into my new place over the weekend (and since the copper on the registration desk is probably just going to assume that my new lease started on 1st December rather than six days ago), I didn't think that would be too much of a problem.
 
Then, just yesterday, a friend told me an alarming tale of being hauled over the coals the last time she re-registered her residence because the coppers seemed suspicious of her visa.  And well they might be, because, let's face it, we're nearly all of us on "fake" visas (provided via companies that sell their allocated quota of foreigner work permit applications without actually asking us to work for them) - that's the only straightforward way to get a visa to stay long-term in China.  And the cops must surely know that.
 
I was trying to remain chipper in the face of this news, convincing myself that it was an isolated instance, or that my friend had got herself into trouble by being able to speak decent Chinese (if you just smile dumbly at them, they generally get on with their paper-filling-out chores and don't bother you with awkward questions about what kind of work you actually do).  In five years at my old place, the once or twice-a-year ritual of registration renewal was always the smoothest of formalities, never taking more than a few minutes nor involving any more than noting down my passport and visa numbers and my home address (well, the first few times, the reluctance of my unfriendly and unhelpful former landlord to accompany me to the cop shop led to some problems - I think eventually I had to confirm his identity from the mugshots on their local records [yep, they have photographs of everyone] and get him on the phone to explain why he was being so derelict in his landlordly duty; he played ball after that).  Nevertheless, I contacted my visa agent last night, asking her to urgently send me all the relevant information about the company by which I am nominally employed.
 
She said she'd get back to me.... but she didn't.  I wasn't overly bothered by it.  I know she's very busy, and I didn't want to hassle her.  Everything, I was sure, would be all right.
 
So, it was a bit embarrassing when they asked me for my office phone number, and I couldn't give it to them.
 
I hid behind the language barrier.  I speak very little Chinese, and usually pretend to speak absolutely none.  My new landlord speaks very, very little English.  None of the folks at the police station spoke any English at all.
 
I excused myself to make a panicky call to my visa agent.
 
She was reluctant to provide the information I needed to get me off the hook because she was worried it might cause trouble for the company who had kindly sold me the work permit.  Indeed, she seemed to be in a greater panic than me, perhaps foreseeing the unravelling of her whole business.  She seemed convinced that I must have broken the law - or at least done something to piss this particular copper off - for them to be asking such probing questions.  She had to check with the company first, to get their permission to reveal their business telephone number.  I stalled for time some more with the cops.  At least the agent got back to me fairly promptly.  Alas, the phone number was not, after all, enough.  Now, they also wanted the full business name of the company and my official job title.  In Chinese.  I knew in English, but the Chinese was beyond me, and I wasn't able to get it across to my landlord.  I tried calling my agent back several times, but she was busy on other calls.  In desperation, I started calling former students to try to find one of them who could 'translate'.  None of them were answering either.
 
Eventually, the agent checked her 'missed calls' and got back to me, and the problem was solved within seconds.  There was no further interrogation as to the exact nature of my business, the office address, the name of my boss - thank heavens.
 
I got the impression that it was just a formality - that they've recently added employer contact details to the database fields (perhaps not even 'compulsory', but some officers are more thorough than others about filling in all the blanks).  They weren't suspicious about, or even interested in, my working status, and weren't going to do any checks with the employer.  All a storm-in-a-teacup.
 
But that was a half-hour that probably took another five years off my life.  Our situation in this country is terrifyingly precarious at times.
 

6 comments:

The Weeble said...

They're definitely getting stricter about checking -- I've been receiving phone calls from the local cop shop about stopping in to register my new visa with them, which I would do if I had the damned thing: have not had the money to pick up my visa from the agent for the last, oh, three weeks. They're also registering details that should (I think) probably be the province of the Entry/Exit Bureau, not the police. Interesting that they wanted details on your employer for you (Z?) visa -- for the F visa, they're still pretty nod-and-wink about it, or at least were the last time I registered. But I'm assuming that the F will probably cease to be viable as a category soon, and that this will likely be the last one I get.

Will said...

That's hair raising. I sometimes wonder if the whole gray visa edifice is going to collapse. Part of me thinks they wouldn't dare because they'd lose half the foreign consultants in China. But then the other half of me reminds the first half that this might not be seen as a terrible tragedy.

w white said...

You guys have to remember they're working on the basis of a system that dates back to 1985 (when that law was passed) and was largely inspired by Soviet practice of the time. In fact Russia applies some of these rules more strictly - visitors to Russia have to get a card stamped every time they register residence at eg a hotel, then produce this card at the border when leaving, otherwise they're in trouble.

I wouldn't overestimate the state of advancement of any of their systems - local police stations ar sometimes good at sounding threatening when asking questions, when actually they haven't got the first clue about what they're talking about.

Revision of the whole system is on the cards but takes time. The current system with its numerous 'grey' areas may actually be easier to live with than what comes later.

Froog said...

Yes, I suppose we are all much happier with the present laissez-faire system.

I dream of a more straightforward and transparent regime where we could do this paperwork without the help of intermediaries and give honest information about our reasons for being here, but.... well, that's never going to happen in this country, is it?

I too am sceptical about the efficiency of the record-keeping, and how cross-referenced it is, even now that it's all computerized. One thing that struck me yesterday was that they never asked to see my previous residence registration certificate.

Are we supposed to go back to the old cop shop and cancel our residence registrations there, or does it get done automatically in the computer system? (And are we allowed to have multiple places of residence? Are we really supposed to re-register every time we sleep over at a girlfriend's, or spend a weekend at a friend's country home? And then renew our 'home' registration again when we get back? It quickly becomes ridiculous.)

Froog said...

It's also an intriguing question as to whether visas obtained this way are in fact illegal.

Do the regulations require that we have a genuine working relationship with the employer cited on our original visa application? And how exactly would that be defined?

It's fairly common for people to cease employment with their original employer, and to move to other employers or spend some time freelancing or drifting unemployed, before the term of a visa has expired.... and there doesn't seem to be any problem with that.

So, I can't see why there should be any problem about having a purely token relationship with your 'employer' - so long as it is a genuine company, and they have willingly sponsored your work permit application.

The Weeble said...

And I think it will likely stay that way -- the problem is with F visas, which are for a poorly defined scope of activities ("business exploration," "short-term study") and were until recently available more or less for the asking with a letter of invitation that you could basically gin up yourself. That all seems to be changing now, and I suspect by next summer we'll see a bunch of newly registered "cultural transmission companies" offering Z visas to university graduate applicants over the age of 25. Which I fortunately now am.