Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Relief - or apprehension?

I was so dreading my landlord's reaction to news of my impending move that I'd put off telling him for a few days.
 
Perhaps I needn't have worried.
 
He has not complained.  He hasn't threatened me.  He has not demanded compensation or penalty for the premature termination of the lease (yet).  He has not demanded that I move out immediately (as he did when our rent renegotiation stalled three months ago).
 
He hasn't even objected that I have given him slightly less than the one month's notice I'm supposed to under the contract.
 
And he says I can have until the end of the month to move out.  (In fact, I'm only paid up until the 28th; and I'm planning to hand the keys back on the 29th.)
 
 
Who knows - perhaps I'll even get my deposit back from him?
 
Although, given his incessant money-grubbing over the past 5 years, it's difficult to be sanguine about this.  He tried to get me to pay for a replacement water heater, when the element in the - crappy - old one burnt out a few months after I'd moved in.  He tried to get me to pay for replacing the lock on the front door, when it seized up (this was a fault with the lock design; within the space of a few months, every apartment on my staircase had to have these locks replaced) - even though the cost was only about 50rmb.  This guy really is tight as the proverbial duck's ****. And I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting their deposit back from a Beijing landlord.  But I'm damn well going to try!
 
 
I still can't quite believe that he's being so docile about things.
 
"It's quiet."  "Too quiet."
 

No comments: