Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Everything you ever wanted to know about Darwin

While I'm doing plugs for friends, I suppose I should mention that one of my journo buddies, Michael Keller, is appearing at The Bookworm today, along with the award-winning science and natural history writer David Quammen, as part of the Worm's three-week mini-festival commemorating the 150th anniversary of Darwin's On The Origin Of Species.  These guys are both dauntingly knowledgeable on many aspects of evolutionary theory, so it should be a fascinating talk.  Particularly so if we get some Creationist hecklers in from the Shunyi Bible belt.  Or some hardcore Chinese fenqing who insist that obviously civilization started in China, and African origin of man theories are patently bogus, and by the way, we invented dinosaurs too, and we discovered evolution way before that Brit, we just didn't think it was worth telling anyone else about it.....
 
If that doesn't happen, I may just have to represent those nutjob viewpoints myself.
 
Mike has written a graphic adaptation of Darwin's great work to make his ideas more accessible to schoolchildren (due for publication next month, I think), and will be doing a further session at the Worm next Tuesday afternoon (15th) to present that.
 
 

No comments: