Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Credit where it's due

Once again, I am grinding my molars to powder.
 
Just when I thought these lame-brained dickheads I edit for (sorry, that should be "internationally distinguished academics who have the ear of the Chinese leadership") couldn't get any more comically inept in their misuse of English....
 
Yes, they manage to throw up a new perversity in the sphere of quotations.
 
 
This latest (mind-buggeringly LONG) piece I'm working on features the frequent quirk of including extended paraphrases of US foreign policy statements that are almost, but not quite, word-for-word quotations.  No, of course they're not enclosed inside quotation marks.  Neither are they introduced as quotations (although there is the further  - inspired! - wrinkle in the presentation of these pseudo-quotes that they are usually preceded by a context-providing sentence alluding to the attendance of President Obama or one of his staff at a major conference, or making a significant public statement on related issues; these sentences, however, always stop some way short of pointing out that what follows - often for the bulk of the whole paragraph - is what he [or Hillary or Joe or Robert or Richard] actually said).  I can only tell that they are quotations because.... well, as an experienced editor, I tend to notice when the English is suddenly completely free of errors.  Or when lacunae in the text are marked by a triplet of full stops (... ).  The latter, of course, is evidence that the dipshit author is not merely including an unattributed quotation, but that he is quoting it from a secondary source - from somebody else's edited quotation of it - rather than from the original.
 
Ah, but wait - this doofus has one final dollop of icing to add to his botched-quotations cake.
 
Yes, believe it or not, he follows the extended paraphrase with the actual quotation in full - IN BRACKETS.  Not in inverted commas.  Oh no.  Brackets.
 
 
So, apart from quoting at unnecessary length, quoting from secondary rather than primary sources, quoting without the use of quotation marks, and quoting without any clear attribution - he's DOING IT ALL TWICE.
 
 
I despair, I really do.  It is absolutely doing my head in.
 

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm glad I've never had an editing experience like that. I should definitely reconsider my intention of returning to editing--perhaps it's time to move on.

stuart said...

I can only assume that your level of remuneration is stratospheric.

Froog said...

Hardly 'stratospheric', but reasonably comfortable.

The level of pay offered to laowai is one of the few economic indicators NOT used to chart "China's rise". I wonder why that is?