Thursday, December 04, 2008

Winter is here?

The nighttime temperature has been dropping well below freezing for the past several days, but the daytime highs - though tailing off somewhat from the fairly mild spell we enjoyed in recent weeks - had still been getting well above zero Celsius again. Well, until the last couple of days: I think the daytime peak crawled above zero only just barely, if at all, today; and there has been a penetrating north wind that is making things feel much colder.

Things are predicted to get even worse over the next few days, with daytime temperatures staying below zero, and overnight lows plunging well below -10.

I just walked back from a music bar down at the bottom of nearby Jiugulou street. Barely a mile - but I really didn't think I was going to make it. The mean air temperature was about -15°, and the windchill was probably taking another 10°or 15°off that.

I used to make mock of people who complained of such conditions, but I fear my resilience is weakening with advancing years. I used to maintain that the two sets of long thermal underwear I bought in my first year here would only be used on trips to the mountains or the frozen wastes of the far North-East, but that resolve has been overwhelmed a few times in recent years. Tonight, I think those longjohns may have saved my life. That is about the coldest I have ever been in Beijing. I have been pretty bloody cold here before on a number of occasions, but this was just a whole new level of pain.....

I am starting to seriously consider my friend DD's suggestion to wear both pairs together.....

No comments: