Thursday, December 04, 2008

Three holes in the ground....

It transpires that the pile-driver operating at a distance of barely 5 yards from my balcony (only for about 12 hours a day, at least; not overnight) is there for the purpose of digging a well. (I badgered my landlord to contact the building company, to try and find out what the f*** is going on, and how long it's likely to take. Apparently the well-digging should be over soon, but the whole project - still shrouded in obscurity! - is scheduled to take another 6 or 7 months. Oh my gawd!)

I don't quite understand why they need their own well, rather than simply connecting to the mains supply, or pumping water out of the adjacent canal. The way Beijing's water-table has been going in recent years (retreating at a rate of knots towards the centre of the earth!), I fear they are going to have to dig very deep.

And they are at least two other major pieces of excavation going on in 'my' (formerly quiet) little park: one small hole close to the well-bore, and one much larger one at the far end of the park's mystery building (a lake, possibly?).

Looks like I'm in for a long haul of sleeping in the living room......

No comments: