Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Last words

I think the thing that ultimately always saves me from my own occasional suicidal urges is the writer's block it always induces in me.

Here's another example of how we might make that last note even more difficult for ourselves....


PS Fret not, gentle readers, I am not assailed by any such glumness at the moment. It's just that I spent the entire morning wrestling with bloody PowerPoint to create a presentation for a lecture I'm doing this weekend (5 hours of effort to create 1.5 hours of slides? Something wrong there! No, in fact, about 1 hour of creative effort, and 3 or 4 hours of re-doing the 'Auto-font-sizing'! [Is there any way to turn this OFF?!]), so I have been reminded how much I HATE all things Microsoft.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reminds me of my initial reaction to the news that David Foster Wallace had hung himself, which was to wonder how many footnotes the suicide note had.

FionaJane said...

Have only just come across this, while blog wandering - shortly after having come across a comment in an academic journal article to the effect that Tolstoy 'did not attempt suicide but he did attempt a suicide note'.

No. I don't know what it means, either.