Friday, August 15, 2008

Sunshine after the rain

After yesterday's downpour, we again have a near perfect day: an azure sky, and high wispy clouds, bright sunshine, moderate temperatures, and a gentle northerly breeze. Perhaps just a tad humid, and that's likely to get worse as the day goes on; but, on the whole, you couldn't wish for a better summer day in Beijing.

And, of course, it just happens to be the first day of the athletics in the Olympics. Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Can they maintain this idyllic weather for the rest of the Games? I doubt it. Not, I fear, without at least one or two more of those purging deluges we suffered in the last 5 days.

1 comment:

Froog said...

I gather from the WSJ that today's Air Pollution Index is still in the low 60s (as it has been most of the week) - which is pretty appalling; but, probably, about as good as it is ever going to get in Beijing.

If, as I strongly suspect, Beijing's official API figures are routinely massaged downwards by perhaps as much as 50%, then this is truly DIRE.

However, the air really does seem pretty clean today. I hope this isn't just a cognitive delusion brought on by the brilliance of the sunshine and the fact that I can see the Western Hills so clearly from my kitchen window (something that probably doesn't happen above 5 or 6 times in a year).