Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's official - I am an Olympic jinx

I had planned to spend the afternoon with a friend wandering around the Olympic Green area taking photographs.

But, obviously, every time I go Olympicking, the heavens open. Another tropical thunderstorm in Beijing today: it fairly poured down for almost the whole afternoon. And yes, once again, storm drains blocked, roads flooded, sewers backed up - even on the Olympic Green (I know what that foul smell up towards the northern end was!). Not nice.

I was soaked to the skin, and got hardly any pictures. (Although I did enjoy a nice 5-minute flirt with a gorgeous PR girl collecting survey data for the IOC.)

Was this just a freak of nature, an extreme event beyond even the near-omnipotent control of the weather that the Beijing authorities aspire to? Or were they cloud-seeding like crazy to try to clear the air up (and dispense with the need for further rain for as long as possible) before the centrepiece of the Games, the athletics competitions in the Bird's Nest stadium, begin tomorrow?


Or is it, just possibly, all down to me, ME, ME?

I'll tell you what, BOCOG - if' you're worried about any more Olympic events being spoiled by excessive rain, you can pay me to stay away. How about it??

No comments: