Saturday, June 07, 2008

List of the Month - a fondness for the classics

What I bought on my last trip to The Music Box
(my best local knock-off DVD outlet)


Pépé le Moko (fantastic Jean Gabin thriller from the 1930s, set in Algeria)

Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House

Nights of Cabiria (early Fellini)

Germany: Year Zero (early Rossellini - bit of an Italian neo-realism thing going on here....)

Battleship Potemkin

Laughter In Paradise (classic English comedy of the '50s)

Roman Holiday

Lust For Life

The Wizard of Oz

Moulin Rouge (the Jose Ferrer one)

La Belle et La Bête (a rare experiment in film-making by Jean Cocteau)

Night Of The Hunter (Charles Laughton's only film as a director)

Marty

Seven Samurai

Strangers On A Train

Rebel Without A Cause

The Childhood Of Maxim Gorky

Pather Panchali

Experimental Short Films By Maya Deren

Ben-Hur

The Ten Commandments

Land of the Pharaohs


Striving to recreate that lost world of Saturday afternoon film-watching during my '70s childhood (at least with a few of those latter picks!)..........

1 comment:

Froog said...

My purchases (sadly limited by shortage of time and money) from The Best DVD Shop In The World I discovered a few months back on my trip to Harbin were perhaps even more impressive:


The Red Shoes (got to love Powell & Pressburger; I think this is my favourite of theirs)

The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser

Requiem For A Dream

Hell In The Pacific

The Naked Prey

All That Jazz

The Hustler

Queen Christina
(classic Garbo)

The 39 Steps (the Robert Donat version, of course)