Friday, March 14, 2008

Poor preparation

My private student, the Chinese lawyer, really didn't show his English - or his capacity for analytical thinking - to very good advantage on the overseas scholarship application form he had filled out (this was before he'd hired me to help him with his application; I only came on board at the 11th hour to give him some interview coaching) - but he somehow made it on to the shortlist anyway.

I was particularly disappointed, confused by the paragraph he'd written on "an ethical dilemma you have encountered in your practice".

When I quizzed him on why he had chosen the (not obviously relevant) example he had, he replied, "I don't know this word 'ethical'."


Where do I begin???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you tell him very few people overseas know the word either?

(Not sure about the use of "either" with "very few" here. It reads funny. Coach away.)

Froog said...

I don't think there's any grammatical problem here. Would you prefer 'not many'?

My first objection to my student here was, "And you didn't think to look it up in a dictionary?" Quite staggering! Particularly given the enormity of this application's importance for him (a full year of study of work experience overseas, which could pave the way to him getting a job in a foreign law firm).

I also have a wider concern that maybe the Chinese just don't get the concept.

Anonymous said...

So your student isn't an Ethics Boy then? ;-)