Saturday, November 03, 2007

Chinese people LOVE me! (1)

Upon revisiting the sharply satirical website Black People Love Us! (it's particularly fun when commenters there fail to get the joke) the other week, I had the idea of inaugurating a similar strand here on Froogville - a collection of observations on all the most irritating, patronising or just amusingly idiosyncratic quirks of laowai behaviour when interacting with the locals here. Please e-mail me your suggestions for things I might include. I can see this being a long-running and prolific feature!!

Let's get the ball rolling...


"Chinese people love me because.... I always say 'your China' and 'my England'.... and 'our America'."

And without a trace of irony, too! I think they always assume, though, that that "our" is identifying England with America - in a Blair-and-Bush-best-buddies-forever kind of way - rather than, as I intend, suggesting that China, the UK, and the rest of the world share a common experience of having to put up with America.

No comments: