Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Why we love the Internet

Because of obsessive weirdo corners like this, where people catalogue photos of family pets that bear an uncanny resemblance to Der Führer. This pic, I think, is way the best. Lots of cats have an unfortunate splodge of black beneath their nose; but this one has the hair too..... and the wild staring eyes!

I am disappointed to discover that an old, old favourite in similar vein, www.plaguedomes.com, seems to have vanished into the ether - although their gimmick (product? were these ever for sale??) can still be found out there on the Net on sites like this.

Other oldies-but-goodies like Hats of Meat and Black People Love Us! are, I find, still hanging in there.

Actually, revisiting BPLU just now, I happened upon a splendid, very fitting quotation:


"Being a great writer is 3% talent and 97% not becoming distracted by the Internet."

Yes, indeed.

5 comments:

moonrat said...

oh GODS if ONLY not for the 97%!!!

Anonymous said...

so much to say on this post.

1. quote is great and accurate... just discussing this over lunch with a journalist friend... the struggle between being out there living and staying in to write and even if we manage to stay in -- Google always gets us...

2. what were you doing that you came across cats that look like hitler? And - Had dinner with a friend from Nebraska who spent the summer helping her mom with a Farm-sale - they discovered loads of Nazi memorabilia that her dad has pilfered during the War... I'm guessing the same people who are interested in cats that look like hitler are interested in heavy chest plates with swastikas on them.

3. Hats of Meat - haven't linked over yet, but immediately brought back memory of a Haaretz journalist's photographs of raw ground meat portraits of Sharon - let me see if I can find it online... nope a 15 second google scan did not produce it... if only I could remember the writer/photographers name... hmmm.

finally,

4. BPLU... wow, what could that be? I'm at a loss. Off I go to check it out. ----LOL!!! that is tooo funny. thanks :) :)

Froog said...

Glad to have kept you away from work for several minutes of the afternoon, T.

I can't recall quite how I blundered on to the Kitty Hitler page. I suppose it must have been during a photo search for birthday pics or somesuch. Odd things happen with Google sometimes!

I am thinking of starting a new Froogville strand on 'Chinese people love me!"

Anonymous said...

"I am thinking of starting a new Froogville strand on 'Chinese people love me!"

he he, I can see it now, you surrounded be adoring local folk and below they say why they luv you - it would be priceless.

Anonymous said...

OH! please do! that is just too good to pass up. I can't wait to see the roundup of Chinese friend testimonials.

p.s. actually, work computer has been crashing all week. I'm exclusively a home blogger at the moment.