Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Play it LOUD

A slightly delayed splurge of listiness for you. I had been planning to institute a list post as a new regular first-weekend-of-the-month feature..... but somehow didn't quite get around to it last weekend.

This offering is inspired by a post of OMG's a few weeks back on songs she likes to play loud.

I probably more often think in terms of albums I like to play loud (perhaps that could be a subject for a list another day), but after reading OMG, many, many favourite LOUD single tracks soon started flooding into my mind. I think it's ended up being a Top 40 (in no particular order of preference).

In the interests of manageability (and minimising your boredom), I think I'd better break the list up into two.

It will, I hope, give you an inkling of the range - and oddity - of my musical tastes, even if it doesn't provide any deeper insights into the inner workings of my psychology. And of course, it may prompt you to share some of your musical enthusiasms with me.


Here goes.....


Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
One of the great singles of all time (although, strangely, it didn't manage to break into the Top 30 in the UK) - songs of adolescent lust are what punk is best at. It has a rather disturbing, stalker-ish quality to it, though: the tremulous intensity of Feargal Sharkey's voice suggests neurotic fantasy rather than self-confidence.

Rat Trap - The Boomtown Rats
The Rats were probably my favourite band in my teenage years. These days they are remembered, if at all, for their two great No. 1 hits (the other one of which is also going to muscle its way into this list), but they actually had quite a lot of good songs, even some good albums. This, though, is surely their very best piece of work - a bitter outpouring of the anger and hopelessness of working-class youth.

White Wedding - Billy Idol
Isn't this on everybody's list? A fantastic song. Billy had such a great voice, and such a sinister intensity.

My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
Nina is my favourite of the classic jazz divas - for her personality, her wit and intelligence and rage, as much as for her wonderful voice and piano playing. This is such a happy, jaunty song - proof that you don't need electric guitars to justify playing something LOUD.

Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
But electric guitars are good for playing LOUD - and they don't come much better than Eddie van H's. This was a great band, especially in the ebullient heyday of David Lee Roth. Just about everyone of my generation owned the 1984 album from which this song comes. Of course, it later acquired a particular resonance for me when I became a secondary school teacher (although I'm not aware of any of my students ever having a crush on me).

Close, But No Cigar - Thomas Dolby
Dolby was really the only one of the '80s synth-pop crowd I had any time for - musically and lyrically far more interesting than any of the others. This has long been one of my (rousing, but slightly melancholy) favourite psyching-up-before-going-out-to-party tunes: a fantastic chugging guitar (by Eddie Van H!) and a HUGE chorus. And how can you not love the opening: "Some people sing love songs. Everybody's got one. This isn't my love song. It's more like my love-gone-wrong song."

Tie Your Mother Down - Queen
Queen are, I think, my very favourite band of all. Certainly they were in a league of their own as live performers - Freddie was one-of-a-kind. I love almost all of their albums, and they all deserve to be played LOUD. However, if I have to choose just one of their songs as my favourite headbanger, then it would have to be this, Brian May's celebration of adolescent lust (Teenage Kicks again!) that opens the Day at the Races album.

Mr Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra
Oh, I'm really betraying my age here - I'm such a 70s child! But I'm not going to be ashamed of this: ELO were a great band; and the Out Of The Blue double album is quite wonderful, another of those that I like to play LOUD the whole way through. There are several songs on it I especially like, but I suppose this one strikes a particular memory-chord with me because it became a hit single in the UK and thus got a lot of exposure during a critical period in my childhood.

The Winner Takes It All - Abba
And while I'm being defiantly unashamed of my 70s childhood, I may as well admit to a hopeless weakness for Abba (although, somewhat unusually, I fancied Anni-Frid the redhead rather than Agnetha the blonde). I've always liked break-up songs - and this is one of the best (and particularly poignant when it first came out, of course, because we knew it was founded in reality; and because the fracturing of the romantic liaisons within the group was likely to lead to the group breaking up also.... No more Abba? Boo!).

Downpayment Blues - AC/DC
God, I love AC/DC. Again, I would recommend almost every song on every album of theirs for playing LOUD, and there are quite a few I found it really difficult to omit from this list (Highway to Hell, Dirty Deeds, What's Next To The Moon?). And I love the blues; it's probably my favourite musical style. Angus Young is a superb blues player, although that's often overlooked because his trademark solos are so loud and fast (I've never seen anyone get through as many guitars as he does during a live show: he beats them out of tune in no time!). So, if I have to choose one favourite, it would be this slow blues number, with its landslide opening chords, and some fantastic lyrics too. "I know I ain't doin' much, but doin' nothing means a lot to me."

Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Part 1 - Pink Floyd
The Floyd are probably my top PLAY LOUD band; particularly the heart-breaking Wish You Were Here album (my favourite depression-wallow music - now, that could be another theme for a list!). This opening track is so atmospheric (many 70s kids like me remember that it was the soundtrack accompaniment to Arthur Dent's momentous first setting foot on an alien planet in the original radio series of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy) and I adore the ringing tones of Dave Gilmour's guitar here.

Gun Law - The Kane Gang
Ah, who now remembers The Kane Gang? They brought out two albums (on the ZTT record label, if I recall correctly) in the mid-80s, the first of which, The Bad and Lowdown World of... The Kane Gang, was absolutely fantastic. This opening track, with its spaghetti western ambience of distantly tolling mission bells and its blistering programmed drum patterns, was a top choice for playing LOUD during my college days. Hey, I think I still have a tape of it somewhere - maybe I'll give it a blast right now. I also loved the song Losersville on this album, although that's not quite so much of a headbang as Gun Law. Now, where is that tape?

Wild Thing - The Goodies
One of the great - perhaps the greatest of all - air-guitar songs. But the thing I really like about it is the demented obsessiveness of the lyrics. And, for me, Bill Oddie (of the classic BBC comedy trio, The Goodies - yet another of my 70s childhood weaknesses!) brought that out best. The Troggs' original version was fatally compromised by the naffness of that hippy flute solo in the middle, and Hendrix's cover was more about the guitar than the song. Really - check out The Goodies' version, if you can find it.

Misirlou - Dick Dale & The Deltones
Yes, like everyone else, I discovered Dick Dale after this frenetic 'surf guitar' track was used by Quentin Tarantino to accompany the opening credits of 'Pulp Fiction'. I do now have a couple of his albums, but this is still my favourite track - I suppose at least partly because of its associations with that terrific film.

Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Back in the beginning of the '90s I found myself taking care of a young doctor friend's record collection for a year or two, while he was going through his houseman training, living in grotty hospital rooms. This provided my first sustained exposure to Roy Orbison - and I was soon hooked. I mentioned that I liked break-up songs? One of the best!

Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
I am not going to be ashamed of this nomination just because it has become such an overplayed pub jukebox anthem. Heck, it was designed to be a pub jukebox anthem. In fact, it is a brilliantly ironic critique of the phenomenon of singing-while-drunk. Chumbawamba are a great, great band, and the Tubthumping album was a work of genius - easily one of the best records of the 90s. It's a pity most people only know this song; the rest of the album is even better (with many other 'play LOUD' candidates: Drip, drip, drip, One By One, Good Ship Lifestyle). It's a shame I've never got around to seeking out any more of their stuff; I can't believe their other work is rubbish if they can produce something as brilliant as this. This is not at all my favourite song from the album, but... anthems are good for playing LOUD, and this is a great anthem.

If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow
Had to have something from Sheryl in here - so sexy! Although in general I prefer her mellow late-night crooning voice, her hoarse shouting is pretty good too. And I suppose this is the most anthemic, the most singalong simplistic of her songs. Love the guitar in this too! Surely I should be able to learn to strum like that? (And turn my amp up to '11'!)

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - Soft Cell
OK, I earlier disclaimed any interest in synth-pop; but Soft Cell would be one of the few other exceptions - mainly because of Marc Almond's brilliantly twisted lyrics. This is surely the bitterest break-up song of all!
"What about me?
Well, I'll find someone
Who's not going cheap in the sales;
A nice little housewife
Who'll give me a steady life,
And won't keep going off the rails."

Chain Gang - Sam Cooke
One of the R&B greats - there are several of Sam's songs in contention for inclusion here. Leading runner-up would probaby have to be Wonderful World, which I always fondly associate with the celebrated cafeteria scene in John Landis's great college comedy 'Animal House'. However, I think Chain Gang just edges it out. I sang this in a pub once (and I am not one of nature's singers!) - but that is a story perhaps best reserved for the Barstool.

Why Can't I? - Liz Phair
Probably the most recent of my selections, this was the opening hit from Liz's self-titled comeback album of 3 or 4 years ago. I adore Liz Phair - even if her sexual 'frankness' sometimes goes to extremes that are more comical than discomfiting or erotic, and even if her songs regularly have just too many hooks for their own good (a foible that was nicely sent up in the video for this song, where almost every phrase was shown as the 'title' of a Liz Phair song on a jukebox menu). Her debut album, Exile In Guyville, came out while I was backpacking around the world in '94; a guy I met in China introduced me to it, and made me a taped copy to take with me, so it became the soundtrack to my travels that year. Now, that is a superb album - if you only buy one album this year, in the rest of your life, this should be it. But it just doesn't have anything quite as rocky on it as this irresistibly catchy lust-song; so this has to be my Liz Phair choice.


To be continued.....   [Oh, and I came up with a final addendum as well.]

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am back. and I am glad you're back.

for the record, indeed we saw the notice, but we chose to disbelieve... denial is the first stage of loss, no?

the question is, after a year, where am I and where are you? do the haunting personal stories of yesteryear still hold claim over me? and you... do you still have stories, poems and one line recollections in you, anxious to burst out of your memories and onto the the computer screen?

we shall see...

Froog said...

Ah, you're back.

Commenting on the wrong post - but back.

How's the work-life balance looking for October?

Anonymous said...

I have traveled across the borders, visited the past and seen my many futures. Beijing is but a distant dream for me, right now.

I'll get back to you about October's work-life balance after I wake up and smell the garlic.

The British Cowboy said...

There's a few I would add to this list, though for once I actually agree with much of it...

Alan Jackson - Five O'Clock Somewhere

At times it just HAS to be played loud. Especially after a shitty day at work.

Kid Rock - Cowboy or Devil Without a Cause

Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire

Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Public Enemy - anything from It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

Billy Bragg - Between the Wars

And yes, I do have somewhat contradictory music tastes, thank you very much

The British Cowboy said...

And how could I leave off...

The Clash - I fought the law

The Ramones - everything, but not least Rock and Roll Radio

The Jam - Town Called Malice

Thin Lizzy - The Boys are Back in Town

Froog said...

I still haven't caught up with your Country enthusiasms, Cowboy (JC aside, of course - and even him I don't see as requiring LOUDness). Much more with you on the second list of suggestions - I think most of those were "bubbling under" for me.

Anonymous said...

"Teenage Kicks - The Undertones",

ok!, bring it on. Great song.



"Tubthumping - Chumbawamba
I am not going to be ashamed of this nomination just because it has become such an overplayed pub jukebox anthem..."

?! Be ashamed. I think the first line of your explanation speaks for itself. This one is NOT on my list but it doesn't mean I haven't stomped my foot on the bar room floor once or twice - sorry can't love it though.

Anonymous said...

I feel special, having inspired The Froog.

First of all, you've prompted me to open my Nina Simone folder, and for that I thank you. I love Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair, but for loudness I'm going to vote for Love Me or Leave Me and Gin House Blues. For the former, I have to play it loud to drown out my voice because I can't listen to it without singing along. If I ever take up piano again, that song will go on my "to be learned" list.

The Queen and Pink Floyd choices are also excellent. I tend to play Wish You Were Here loud, even though it's definitely, as you say, wallow music.

Great list, Froog!

Anonymous said...

BC took care of the missing Skynyrd "Sweet Home Alabama"

Then of course I would want to include: The Clash "Should I Stay?", Black Flag "TV Party Tonight", AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long", and the two most important to me....."I Can See Clearly Now" - Jimmy Cliff, and because I will always stop everything I'm doing when The Who comes on the radio - "I am One"

Anonymous said...

"Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - Soft Cell"

Covered by David Gray's album White Ladder, I just realised. Would like to hear the Soft Cell version again though.

"
If It Makes You Happy - Sheryl Crow".
Not normally my thing but it DOES make me happy, so why not.

Arr, the Clash, WeasleyB, yes yes.

(I'm trying to work, can you tell?)

Froog said...

Yeah, the David Gray version is pretty lame, though. It even cuts some of the bitchier lyrics, I think.

Have you ever heard the rest of that Chumbawamba album, FG? I may have to rip it for you.

Weasley, you're back! I like bits of The Who, but somehow they've never been a BIG THING for me. Yay to Jimmy Cliff - although slow, cheerful songs don't really seem to require VOLUME for me. It's not just about whether you like the song, it's about whether they make you want to jump around, shake your head, skate across the floor in your socks doing air-guitar or air-microphone mimes.....

The British Cowboy said...

Well country doesn't tend to need to be loud, nor does Johnny often, but Ring of Fire does...

And southern rock just screams to be played at speaker rattling volumes. Like George Throrogood for example...

Some country, on the other hand, seeks volume. I include one Alan Jackson song, even though he is usually much quieter, simply because it is in my car cd player at the moment, and it ends days perfectly. But much Toby Keith, for example (my real white trash guilty secret) sounds rocking at high volumes.

As for The Clash, I Fought the Law won out (just) over Should I Stay or Rock the Casbah. My favorite Clash song doesn't need high volume at all (though it does not hurt) - Know Your Rights.

I'll also confess to some extremely loud classical selections...

Froog said...

Classical is for a later post, I think.

Ah, George Thorogood. Is Delaware "southern"?? Definitely starting to think I should have found a place for Gearjammer or Bad to the Bone in here somewhere.

The Clash were close but no cigar for me. If I'd made it a top 50, all three of those might have been in , but.... you have to draw the line somewhere.

Have you ever heard the original of I Fought The Law? Pretty awesome. I forget the name of the band, but they were mid-50s, very Buddy Holly-ish.

Ah, Wikipedia! Apparently it was originally recorded by the post-Buddy Crickets; but the more successful version I'm thinking of came several years later from The Bobby Fuller Four. And Green Day covered it a couple of years ago as well? Must give that a listen.

The British Cowboy said...

Well, Delaware is Southern as in below the Mason-Dixon line. It is also pretty culturally southern in a lot of ways (slave state in the civil war, I believe).

More importantly, GT's music is southern. And I would probably pick "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" as my song.

Yes I have heard the earlier versions of IFTL. Fine they are too.

Might there be a call from some Ska on your list?

Anonymous said...

Gentleman, Jimmy Cliff...."Clearly Now" ABSOLUTELY meant to be played all ful volume, it is only then that it can ush all other thoughts out of your head.

Anonymous said...

Hey,

Since you love AC/DC, I'd like to invite you to join our group dedicated to the band.

http://groups.google.com/group/Bon-Scott

Keep rockin, Jon

Froog said...

OOoh, spam! But nice spam.

Come on, guys, where's the Chumbawamba appreciation group??

Anonymous said...

I listened to opera LOUD yesterday thanks to a work colleage and it was wonderful. It was so beautiful that I stopped working to stare out the window at the blue sky. The violins could break my heart alone but the singers voice was awe inspiring.

I should add I know nothing about opera.