Monday, May 07, 2007

This week's bon mot

"Trouble is like urine in a swimming pool: sometimes the only way to keep other people's away from you is to make a little of your own."

A few years ago, my utterly lovely Canadian friend Linda (one of the great unrequited loves of my life!) sent me a CD by a group called Three Dead Trolls In A Baggie (go check out their stuff at www.deadtroll.com). One of the skits on it involved Oscar Wilde on his visit to the American West getting involved in a duel of aphorisms with a saloon bar tough. The cowboy actually got most of the best lines, like the one above.

The Canadians seem to have a special knack for eccentric naming. Another comedy band I discovered when I was living there was called The Arrogant Worms - always loved that name!

By the by, in reference to my musings on the issue of digital piracy the other week, it's worth checking out the 'rants' on this subject by Wes Borg of the Dead Trolls on their website.

No comments: