Thursday, April 19, 2007

More from John Banville's 'Athena'

I've quoted part of this book before. I rediscovered it while staying with friends in America last summer, having first read it shortly after breaking up with The Great Love Of My Life, 'The Evil One', some 9 or 10 years ago. I never expected to feel as moved, disturbed, obsessive again.... yet my affair with The Poet at the end of '05 was, if anything, even more intense. I have often been tempted to e-mail these snippets to her - probably will one day, but at the moment I fear she would find them too personal, too discomfiting. I'm not feeling this hung up on her any more; 10 or 12 months ago, yes; but now - I'm pretty much on an even keel again.... with perhaps just the very occasional little relapse into foolish wistfulness: 'what if' and 'maybe' and all of that bollocks. I try to slap myself out of it whenever it happens.



My love. If words can reach whatever world you may be suffering in, then listen. I have things to tell you. At this muffled end of another year I prowl the sombre streets of our quarter holding you in my head. I would not have thought it possible to fix a single object so steadily for so long in the mind's violent gaze. You. You. With dusk comes rain that seems no more than an agglutination of the darkening air, drifting aslant in the lamplight like something about to be remembered.

************************************************************************************

We had our season. That is what I tell myself. We had our season, and it ended. Were you waiting all along to go, poised to leap? It seems to me now that even while I held you clasped in my appalled embrace you were already looking back at me, like one lingering on the brink of departure, all that you were leaving already fading in your glance, becoming memory even as it stood before you.

************************************************************************************

That kiss. Well. The effect of it was to last for days, for weeks. I felt like something that had been shattered and yet was still of a piece, all run through with hairline cracks and fissures and rocking on my base, as if I were an effigy carved from ice and she had come running at me with a hammer and delivered me a ringing blow. I brooded ceaselessly on that brief contact in a state of gloomy joyfulness and misgiving, turning the memory of it this way and that, scrutinising it from every possible angle. At times I got myself into such a state of finicking speculation that I doubted it had happened at all. It was so long since I had kissed a woman I hardly knew how it should feel..... And of course I could not believe it had meant as much to her as it had to me; the tongue of flame that had licked my middle-aged flesh and made it sizzle would hardly register, surely, on her hot young hide. Probably she was being kissed all the time and thought nothing of it. Yes, I would tell myself sternly, it was nothing at all to her, she hardly noticed it, and I would give myself a vigorous shake, like a dog out of water, and go on about my business, only to fall again immediately, with redoubled frenzy, into tormented, mad-eyed, hopeless speculation. Ice, did I say I was like shattered ice? A mud pool, more like, hot and heaving, and the thought of her a bubble rising and steadily swelling and then breaking the surface and bursting with an awful plop while down in the depths another bleb of turbid speculation was already forming itself.

************************************************************************************

At first in the weeks after she had gone I used to torture myself with the thought that I had not observed her closely or carefully enough, that when I still had the opportunity I had not fixed her sufficiently firmly in the frame of memory; but now that I am calmer (am I calmer?) I cannot believe that anyone ever can have been subjected to such unwavering demented attention as I devoted to you. Every day when you arrived in the room (I was always the first one there, always) I turned on you a gaze so awed, so wide with ever-renewed astonishment, beseeching in its intensity, that I thought you must take fright and flee from me, from such need, such fear, such anguished happiness. Not that you so much as flinched, of course; my poor haggard glare was never fierce enough to dazzle you. All the same, I insist that I looked harder at you and deeper into your depths than anyone ever did before or will again. I saw you. That was the point of it all. I saw you. (Or I saw someone.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad I scrolled down to catch this one that you slipped in between. like to keep me on my toes, eh?

As I struggle to compile my top 10 list, I think back to what originally drew me to read your blog posts... what drew me in.

I don't remember which was the first post I read. I need to scroll through and find it. perhaps it will offer some clue.

But this post, these quotes are, I think, a strong example of why I was drawn in.