Saturday, March 31, 2007

Childish things (Where in the world am I? [42])

As a corollary to my earlier observations on the sorry lack of taste or musical awareness we typically encounter here in The Unnameable (though soon to be named?) Country, I feel I must add that the locals do suffer from a kind of arrested development in almost every respect.

Take the cinema. Grown men and women will happily tell you that their favourite films are cartoons. The men will quite often tell you that their favourite cartoon is 'Tom & Jerry' (those feature-length jobs make such demands on the attention-span).

The only live-action films most people seem to have any time for are the occasional Hollywood blockbuster and trivial rom-coms. Oh yes, to go alongside their quaint adherence to the cult of Michael Jackson, they insist that Julia Roberts is THE BIGGEST FILM STAR IN THE WORLD. And this isn't the Julia Roberts of 'Erin Brockovich' we're talking about here, or even 'Pretty Woman'..... or even (god help me!) 'Notting Hill'. No, 'Runaway Bride' is more their level.

For a hardcore film buff like myself, it is deeply depressing.

Ah yes, amongst the reasons I don't think I could ever date a local...... well, I'm not going out with a 28-yr-old woman who carries a Hello Kitty pencil-case around with her everywhere, and that's that!!

No comments: