Monday, January 15, 2007

What does it all MEAN???

I first encountered this picture in a comic book store in Berkeley 8 or 9 years ago (no, wait - it might well have been over 12 years ago, during my "backpacking year"), and it struck me immediately as being the pithiest, most engaging, likeliest 'answer' to The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything.


I've long had a bit of a soft spot for Robert Crumb.


And, by the way, if you haven't seen Terry Zwigoff's documentary about him,
'Crumb' - DO. It's a sad, funny, brilliant, twisted, compelling film - probably the best biography of a living person, the best insight into the mind of a deranged artist ever made; one of my 'films of the year' when it came out back in the mid-90s. I wish I could get hold of it on DVD.


I had forgotten that he was on a scooter..... but that's kind of cute, too. I suppose it was drawn before the age of skateboards.



No comments: