Monday, December 04, 2006

My favourite non-native speaker mistake of English

A few years ago, when I had been living for several months with a friend in the Pimlico area of London, I happened to be wandering the streets in the middle of the day (I used to do that a lot back then - I had quite an extended period of unemployment, followed by an even more extended period of becoming a student once more), when a rather attractive young German girl approached me and asked, "Are you well-known around here?"

What she meant, of course, was, "Do you know this area well?" (She was looking for the nearest laundromat.) However, I found myself reflecting for a moment on the question she had actually put to me, and I realised that I probably really was quite well-known.... if you went into this bar or that bar, or that corner shop, this cafe, then probably quite a few people would at least recognise me, and perhaps even smile in greeting.

It is sometimes rather gratifying to be able to count on that sort of familiarity.

That's probably what I enjoy most about the place where I am living now: after four-and-a-half years, I am very well integrated into the place, widely recognised in all of my regular haunts, warmly welcomed in most of them.

Or, in the words of the legendary Ron Burgundy:
"I don't know quite how to put this, but.... I'm kind of a big deal round here. People know me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that I was on the way to being "accepted" or even "local" in Leith a few years ago when, walking past a couple of young neds who were chucking snowballs at innocent passers-by, one stopped the other from targetting me by calling out "Dinnae, she's fae ma street!"

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Livia, nice story.

I must ask you to 'ride shotgun' for me the next time I venture into Leith. Fancy a night out at the Malt Whisky Society next time I'm in town??

P