Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Never mind the 'watched pot'...

What about the watched clock?


We've all had the experience of finding that time seems to move sluggishly when we're waiting for something, sometimes even seeming almost to grind to a halt.

But what about a clock actually stopping when we look at it.... and then surreptitiously starting up again as soon as we cease paying it any attention?

I swear that happened to me yesterday.  I was planning to go out at about 4pm, so looked at the clock in my kitchen at 3.48. I know that was pretty much the correct time because I happened to check another timepiece as well. A few minutes later, I glanced at the kitchen clock again: it didn't seem to have moved, but I didn't pay it close attention - dismissing it as an example of that common time slows down when you're anxious about it phenomenon. Several minutes later, I checked again, and this time the fact that my kitchen clock had not moved on since I started checking it was more glaring, impossible to overlook. Damn - my clock had STOPPED. (Except... it hadn't. It was still ticking loudly, and the second hand was still whirring around the clockface at the appropriate pace; it was just that the hour and minute hands had mysteriously jammed at 3.48 - the exact moment at which I first looked at it that afternoon. I tell you, it was the power of my eyes, my penetrating stare that did it!)

I gave up on using the faulty kitchen clock, and, at about 4.10, began referring to the clock on my computer instead. Just before 4.20, I was finally ready to quit the apartment. I happened to glance at my kitchen clock again just as I was leaving: it had started up again, just as mysteriously as it had suddenly stopped a little while earlier. But the time it displayed was - of course - 22 minutes slow. It had started again at the exact moment that I gave up on it and started referring to another timepiece instead.  How spooky is that?

No comments: