Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dreams of moving

'Tis the season of the year to be moving. Most new foreign arrivals - most of us, when we were newbies - tend to arrive in Beijing in late August or early September. And so, that's when 70% or so of rental leases seem to expire. A number of my friends have been looking at new properties recently; a couple of them claim to have found really awesome new pads close to where I live. I am looking forward to their housewarmings - with curiosity, and not a little envy. I am ready for a move too: my place is clean and fairly quiet and has a great location.... but it just doesn't have that oomph factor. It's not somewhere I ever bring people back to, or somewhere I can really enjoy just hanging out on my own.

I'm a bit of a freak, in that my current lease runs until near the end of November; so I'm unlikely to move until then. There'll probably be far fewer places on the market later in the year; but there'll also be much less demand (especially for hutong properties, since the weather will be turning arse-freezing cold by then, and these older traditional houses tend to have big windows and poor heat insulation), so there might be some better deals to be found. Or so I hope.

One of the friends who's about to move showed me his current pad at the weekend. It is gorgeous: a cosy, clean, dry, tastefully modernised pingfang* property ('Western' bathroom, small wooden deck out the back), with beautiful faux Qing furniture (it even has an opium bed). And - by contemporary Beijing standards, at least - it's dirt cheap (so cheap, in fact, that I was seriously tempted to rent it immediately, alongside my existing apartment).

Unfortunately.... it's really just a studio apartment, very, very small: probably only 40 or 50 square metres at best, and with virtually no storage space. I lived for five-and-a-half years in an enormous three-bedroom apartment; almost 150 square metres, and cupboards everywhere. I have scaled down to a place that is only 75 or 80 square metres and has very little storage - and it has been hard: the place is very cluttered; most of my books are still in packing cases. There is no way I could move into my friend's delightful little apartment without abandoning half of my personal possessions (boxes and boxes of teaching notes, 1,000+ DVDs, three or four bookshelves, a sofa and a sofa bed...).

I am really, really tempted to do it anyway, though, because when his winding little hutong emerges on to the main road, 150 yards from his pingfang gate, you see this.....


* In Beijing, at any rate, a pingfang usually designates one of the old hutong houses in the city centre; but unlike a siheyuan, which is a self-contained courtyard property, large or small, pingfang tends to be used of shared yards, where the space has been divided between several households: the individual houses are mostly tiny and ramshackle affairs that have evolved haphazardly over time; but it's a very characterful environment. (And you get very close to your neighbours!)

5 comments:

Ruby said...

I also fell in love with this little gem! Still trying to work out how to extend my budget for it. How a deal, I rent it, you sublet my courtyard and future roof terrace to use when you need peace & quiet?

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing from the description and the photo that would put you close to Prospect Hill where Chongzhen hung himself. Busy friggin area, but I guess you can say that about anywhere in Beijing.

I've spent the last few years digitizing all of my media. Turning my sheet music into PDFs, ripping my CDs and DVDs into digital format and even getting the wireless versions of many of my favorite books (I know). It's been incredibly liberating to donate the weighty versions of all these to charity.

Sounds like a fantastic pad, be a shame to not make a move like that because of a few packed boxes that you don't even open.

Froog said...

30 or 40 boxes,which I do open quite often.

Froog said...

And it's not just the content, it's the thing that embodies it. Getting sentimental over books is easier to understand; but I get sentimental over CDs and DVDs. I like having them around, for the emotional resonances they hold, even if I haven't watched/listened to them for ages - and might never do so again.

Froog said...

The place is on... Dashizuo Hutong, I think it's called. It's just off the north-west corner of the Forbidden City.

It is a wonderful location. And actually very quiet. There's nothing around there in terms of industry, commerce, office space. Only tourists and military.