Monday, June 27, 2011

A return to indolence?


Devoted followers of the blog may have noticed that I have been a bit snowed under with work over the past two months. Indeed, things reached a climax of intensity over the last fortnight, where I thought I might not be able to cope... and was actually deferring or declining additional jobs that were offered to me.

But then, all of a sudden... well, the day-long Presentation Skills course I've been doing for an SOE has had its final seminar moved forward a couple of days this week; and a repeat session, which was to have occupied the whole of July, has been abruptly cancelled (I think due to problems with student availability rather than any dissatisfaction with my delivery). The weekend class that's been so depleting my quality of life this month ended yesterday. I'm already at the half-way point in a 6-week series of Legal Writing classes I'm running for the first time (I had been stressing about this a little, as there is a chance of a lot of repeat work with this law firm; but I'd taken some time out to do quite a lot of the preparation in advance, and it's been going about as smoothly as I could ever have wished). And I'm into the home stretch with the long-term series of classes I've been giving up in the far north of Beijing for the past two months; I've got used to the unsocial hours (Tuesday mornings early, and Thursday evenings - preceding an early, early start on Fridays!); and we're now coasting towards the finish line, with the last three weeks being devoted mostly to preparation for a group presentation exercise to be used as a final assessment. A major new writing/editing position, which would have eaten up a good 8 or 10 hours of every week, has (unfortunately!) gone foop! as well... when it had seemed to be in the bag, a done deal, a sure thing just a few weeks ago.

But [Fanfare], most significantly of all for my psychological well-being, I've managed to wriggle out of my twice-weekly date-with-misery out in the desolate newtown hellhole of Wangjing.

So, at least 150 hours of work (and travel and admin and hanging around waiting for stuff to happen) that I had anticipated having to do in July has disappeared. And most of the 40 hours or so I have remaining is really pretty easy stuff, and should all be concluded within three weeks. I have scaled back from the 25-30 hours of training I was doing each week for the past few weeks to an eminently more manageable 8 hours per week. And after the middle of July I should be completely FREE.

It is quite a shock to the system - but a very welcome one.

But oh, wait, what's that ominous train whistle in the distance? Oh yes.... NO MONEY. Ah well - I don't care too much for money; money can't buy me love.

7 comments:

JES said...

Ha ha -- love the cartoon!

Yes, money always looms doesn't it? Still, I'm glad to know you'll have some "refresh" time. That whole saga with the Wangling job made for blood-curdling reading, I'll tell you.

Okay now, a question: so you're teaching Legal Writing in Beijing. To, I gather, employees of a law firm who are themselves NOT native English speakers. Is that about right? If so, have you been able to spend much time and effort addressing the qualified "LEGAL writing"? or must you still focus on the plain-old unqualified "WRITING"? Are the students adept enough at the various complexities and nuances of English expression that they can keep their attentions on questions like, "So how do I adapt my existing skills to the special requirements of writing for the law?"

Just curious!

Dr. M said...

Mr. Froog,
Dr. Manhattan here. Long time, no talk. Hope the work isn't sinking your ship and liver function is keeping apace with consumption of barely potables.
I thought you and/or your devoted minions might be able to contribute to an article I've been assigned on doing business in China. It's a pretty straightforward piece on do's and don'ts, protocols, cultural norms, etc., but I'd like to add in some funny personal anecdotes or mistakes gained during your tenure. An example might include the time during a dinner banquet when I told my Chinese publisher to go suck it.
All insights welcome,
DM

Lior said...

Cool article, especially liked the cartoon! :)

Cheers

Lior

http://laowaiblog.com

Froog said...

Well, JES, I am having to feel my way in slowly. Indeed they are English-speaking Chinese lawyers - mostly junior associates, still in their twenties.

I had doubts at the start as to whether we would be able to get into much high-end stuff about legal writing or conceptual thinking; and those doubts are, unfortunately, being proved accurate. We're able to work at a rather higher level than with most of the other students I've had out here, but it is rather depressing how limited their ability to reason in English is.

One thing I'm trying to do with them is draw their attention to the distinction between Latinate and Anglo-Saxon vocabularies in English - to try to make them aware that when we, for example, ascertain the approximate value of something, we are moving in much more elevated social and intellectual circles than when we merely find out roughly how much it's worth.

Wish me luck.

Froog said...

Why, Doctor, fancy meeting you here!

Very good to hear from you again.

I shall have to give my bonce a scratch about your request for anecdotes - and canvass the folks down at the bar.

I did hear one just the other day, as it happens. American sales rep for a big engineering company over here to try to prepare the ground for a valuable long-term contract. He got caught out by the baijiu-toasting ritual - staggered off to the bathroom to throw up, and collapsed unconscious on the floor. His Chinese hosts eventually came to find him, and were mightily amused. Apparently, six of them hoisted him on to their shoulders - like coffin bearers - and paraded him around the banqueting room a few times, to general approval. Later, they took him back to his hotel and dumped him on his bed.

He woke at noon the next day, only just in time for his flight home.

When asked by his colleagues how things had gone, he was at a loss as to what to tell them; he couldn't remember a thing about the crucial last day of discussions!

But it seems his hosts had been heartily impressed by his willingness to put his life at risk for his company, and they were willing to move ahead with the deal.

Ah, China.

Froog said...

And what is Laowai blog? Spam??

Well, I'm not quite sure what it is. Seems to be a new-ish news & info site about China - might be worth checking out, but I don't have time right now.

Dr. M said...

That's funny, I had already mentioned the baijiu shots as a culturally important point when trying to do business. I'm going to flesh it out with your story, if you don't mind. Keep 'em coming, especially if you've got anything on saving face or the like.