Friday, May 06, 2011

Recently, on The Barstool...

I seem to have fallen into a habit of doing these little rundowns of highlights from my 'dark side' blog Barstool Blues every six weeks or so (I fret that this may imply that good stuff is becoming a little too infrequent over there... Nah!). Thus, we are once again about due.

Well, just last week, I was getting a little 'political' on the blog, complaining about how the government's paranoia here is creating a climate of fear in the modern art and rock music communities, and banishing this year's music festivals to venues far outside of Beijing (which probably means I won't be going to any of them).

On a chirpier note, the approach of summer (well, here's hoping - it's turned a bit gloomy again the last few days) prompted me to put together a little list of my favourite places for drinking outdoors.

And amongst the last of my picture posts about my trip to Malaysia in February... I found a bar I want to buy, and was fascinated by a cheap local whisky that is actually made from 'whisky' (or, rather, 'whiski')!

Musical posts have included Lebanese multi-instrumentalist Abaji (who played in Beijing as part of the Jue Festival at the end of March), a Russian cover of The Beatles' Come Together by a Siberian throat-singing band, and a selection of versions of the impossibly poignant Scots/Irish farewell song, The Parting Glass.

I've also commented on the many idiosyncrasies and inadequacies of the upcoming annual Bar & Club Awards from leading local expat magazine The Beijinger, and have offered up my own suggested shortlist for the 'Best Bar' prize.

And I've just added another 'Best of...' collection of favourite posts from the beginning of last year...


Lots to entertain you there.


No comments: