Monday, April 04, 2011

New Picks of the Month

Two more picks from three years ago this month....


On Froogville, I was mightily tempted to go for Futility, my definitive rant on why 'Business English' training in China is mostly a waste of time. However, that subject is perhaps of rather limited interest to the layman; so, I choose instead Bali & the ballerinas, a favourite snapshot of my life as a young man (ah, so long ago now, so long ago).

And on The Barstool, I nominate AND.... they're off! - my life summed up as a horse race.


4 comments:

Cedra Wood said...

AND.... they're off! had me smiling all through. Hats off to you for finding a way to enliven the decision-making process! Nice to know that even a quiet evening at home can represent a victory of sorts.

Froog said...

Glad you liked it, CW.

I fear the field has grown rather thinner or less vigorous in recent years. Well, I suppose, it's still mostly the same horses running every time... and perhaps they're getting a little too long in the tooth? Or perhaps I am?

However, Cultural Outing won its first race in ages tonight - going to a little lecture on the history of wuxia cinema.

JES said...

How was the lecture???

Froog said...

Very disappointing lecture, JES.

The speaker was a Chinese fanboy, wannabe Tarantino type - more enthusiasm than real detailed knowledge. The thing hadn't been planned out terribly, and his translator - poor girl - was just dreadful. I found that I was following more of it from his Chinese than her bumbling English. And my Chinese is almost non-existent.

And I'd been hoping we were going to get some film clips - but NO. Although they did have one interesting still from a 1930s film, where the 'fireball' effects were scratched on to the frames of film by hand.