Friday, October 22, 2010

I wish I always got paid like this


A few weeks ago, I helped an acquaintance edit a paper she was to present shortly at an academic conference in Korea.  Since I had nothing but time on my hands around then, and since I knew she was a bit strapped for cash, and since I thought the topic would be interesting and the work not so very demanding (she's European: near native-speaker English level in spoken fluency, but still a little flaky in her writing), I waived my 'usual fee'.

However, she was so pleased with my contribution that when she came back from the conference she brought me the above bottle of duty-free Japanese malt whisky as a thank-you present.

I fret that this is probably of rather higher value than my 'usual fee'.  It's certainly a very pleasant change.

No comments: