Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Fantasy Girlfriend - Rachel Manija Brown

Because, sometimes, attraction is purely intellectual.

Since she appears to have made the progression from being (the, I gather, Jewish) Ms Manija to (the very un-Jewish-sounding) Ms Brown, she's probably not 'available' any more.  And I very much doubt if I shall ever be fortunate enough to meet her.  But since discovering her by chance on the Internet a week ago, I have been quite fascinated.

Rachel Manija Brown is, I have discovered, a talented and funny writer, who keeps two blogs (though largely overlapping), here and here[I also wonder if perhaps she's somehow related to the great Ron Manager?]  She's also the author of what sounds like a really fascinating childhood memoir, All The Fishes Have Come Home To Roost, about the years she spent with her hippie parents on Meher Baba's ashram (there's an interview with her about the book here, and an anecdote about how she came to write it on her own website here).  Her website also includes some great lists of 'recommended reading' in various genres, and three diverting short essays on aspects of writing.

Another of her works is a graphic novel called Project Blue Rose (preview here), advertised with the tag: Black ops, black helicopters, secret government projects, hot men kissing each other.  If Mulder and Scully were gay men... if Alias were set in East Texas... you'd almost be prepared for...

Make me laugh, and I'm yours.


[On the other hand, my propensity to be attracted to eccentrically brilliant women with troubled childhoods hasn't thus far made for a very happy 'track record' in my romantic life.]

No comments: