Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Any time you like

I've been discussing the possibility of taking on a university teaching job again.  The finances have been so dire this year that I have to consider such dread options.


Ah, well, it's only one morning a week, and the money's quite good.

And my contact is doing his best to be accommodating.  He promised they would rig the teaching schedule to my convenience.

"You can pick which day of the week you'd like to teach here," he said.

"Any day?"  I queried.

"Yes, any day," he confirmed.

"Well, I guess Wednesday would suit me best," I said.

"Any day except Wednesday," he said.

"Any day except Wednesday?" I tutted.

"Any day except Wednesday and Monday," he said.

"OK then, I'd prefer Tuesday," I said.

"Tuesday? No problem," he said.


Of course, today, a week or two further down the line, just as the course is due to start, he gets back to me again.  "Tuesday is not available," he says.  "You can choose another day.  Any day at all.  Any day except Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  And Friday."

I am hesitant to nominate Thursday, in case that day too suddenly becomes "unavailable", and I find that they are in fact trying to press-gang me into working on the weekend.

At the moment, though, they're saying Thursday is fine.


It is nice to be given choices, isn't it?

No comments: