Monday, August 02, 2010

More on jailed Chinese artist

In case you missed it, 10 days ago I wrote this post detailing my long acquaintance with the Chinese artist Wu Yuren - and my anxiety at his sudden disappearance at the end of May.

We learned that the police had taken him into custody - indefinitely, without any reason given, without formally notifying his family, and without initially giving him any access at all to a lawyer.

I've just added in the comments to that post an official press release prepared by his wife Karen, providing full details of the circumstances of his detention, and the charge now pending against him.


You may have noticed I've recently put up a counter at the top of the right-hand sidebar to remind us how long he's been in jail: it's 9 weeks today that he's been lost to us.


Karen is planning to launch a blog to publicise developments in the case. I'll post the links for that as soon as it's up and running. Please go and check it out. [It's here: Wu Yuren Incarcerated, set up on 4th August.]


[By the way, if anyone knows of a Blogger-friendly widget which counts days automatically, I'd be grateful to hear of it. The only ones I could find count down rather than up. So, at present, I'm having to remember to alter my 'detention clock' manually each day. It's not hard; just depressing.]

5 comments:

JES said...

Disclaimer: no experience with this, but here's a "countup" widget which seems to work with Blogger as well as other platforms:

Count Up Timer 2.0

Froog said...

Thanks for that, JES, but it didn't quite hit the spot. Not very customisable: impossible to lose the cluttering hours/minutes/seconds display.

I'll guess I'll just have to stick with my laborious manual version for now.

Jo said...

Karen has started a blog for those who want to keep up with what's happening on the case: http://wuyurenincarcerated.wordpress.com

stuart said...

Links to this post and Karen's blog now in the twittersphere.

Froog said...

Thanks, Ruby, Stuart.

Karen's blog still a bit rough-and-ready - only just started knocking it up yesterday afternoon. Thought I'd delay advertising the link until the end of the week, when we should have it looking more polished.