Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Hubertina Hildebrand says Hallo

Well, that was a nice surprise for me in my Inbox this morning! I hadn't heard from Hubie since our little fling in Heidelberg in the summer of 1991.



Ah, no, that was just my imagination running away with me there for a moment. I've always found something oddly sexy about the Germans. Well, German women, you understand. Perhaps it comes from my being German in the maternal line.

Alas, it seems that Internet spammers are becoming more devious - and multilingual! - these days.

Well, perhaps not multilingual. Hubertina's message looked plausibly German at first glance, but on closer investigation a number of words seemed to be misspelled or non-existent (not that my German is up to much, but I checked a couple of words I didn't recognise in some online dictionaries).

Mitarbeiter fuer Testeinkauf bundesweit gesucht. Bewerbung bitte an.....



Testeinkauf, anyone?! I had thought perhaps Fräulein Hildebrand was concerned about the state of my testicles, and was offering me some miracle medicine to enlarge them, or shrink them, or even them up, or something. But it seems not.

Just randomly generated gibberish, I suppose. You can do that in any language. (I think there must be a program like that they use to write Chinese political speeches.)

5 comments:

JES said...

Pretty funny. When I first saw the post's title, I thought you'd been dealt a particularly scrumptious word pair out of some reCaptcha program.

I ran the "Mitarbeiter fuer Testeinkauf bundesweit gesucht. Bewerbung bitte" through translate.reference.com, which renders it into English as "Employees nationwide search for test purchasing. Application please." Alas, this appears to be the most mundane variety of spam!

You probably recall fondly the figure-skating Ice Queen, Katerina Witt. Also maybe Marthe Keller, the actress who was in, umm, Marathon Man -- *checking* yes, that and Bobby Deerfield and some others from the mid-'70s.

You've seen Run Lola Run, true? And/Or the Bourne movies? The lead actress in those films, Franka Potente, is not conventionally pretty -- but I've always thought her highly attractive.

Froog said...

Ah, well, I did all the Fassbinder movies (well, as many as I could find) when at university, so Hanny Schygulla was always my ideal German vamp.

After Marlene, of course.

And Lale Andersen. (Not that I've ever seen a picture of her, but I loved her original recording of the song.)

Schygulla was in Fassbinder's Lili Marleen - one of my great 'lost' films. I talked about in a post a year or so ago about my favourite cinema-going experiences. I think you've read that one.

Froog said...

I have something planned for the weekend involving "scrumptious ReCaptcha pairings"!

Froog said...

'Hanny'?! How did that happen. Hanna, of course. Hanna.

JES said...

There's that filmic erudition showing again.

I never (to my own discredit) was much of a Fassbinder fan -- I think Maria Braun is the only one I saw all the way through -- so I never latched onto Hanna Schygulla (and her Appalachian distant cousin, Hanny).

You'll be happy to know, though, that your Internet rebirth offers you many images and even YouTube videos of Lale Andersen. Fetching, that one.

I used to be a much bigger Dietrich fan than I am now; alas, since Blazing Saddles I keep seeing Madeline Kahn's Lilly von Shtupp (#74 here).