Saturday, January 16, 2010

Continuing the numerical theme


Gosh, strange to think that this came out nearly 15 years ago - when the turn of the new millennium was still five years away. Pulp's Different Class album always brings back a flood of memories from my days at law school. Jarvis Cocker was sharing a London flat at this time with one of his old school friends from Sheffield, and one of my law school friends started dating him (the flatmate, that is). I think that relationship surprisingly survived and prospered, despite her idolizing - and having a bit of a crush on - his pop star housemate. She said that she always got very bashful and tongue-tied going round to the flat, and struggled to act normally, to supress the impulse to gush excitement like a teeny-bopper - "Oh my good god, it's JARVIS!!!" He was a very big deal in the British music scene at that time. Alas, this anecdote is going nowhere: I never got to meet the man myself (although I think there were a few near-misses) - just another of those quaint one-degree-of-separation coincidences.

Bonus extras: here's a great live performance of the song from the long-running BBC music show Later... with Jools Holland. And good grief, Nick Cave has covered it too - no video, but an excellent version.

This has been Post No. 2,000 on Froogville. That's about 1,800 more than I ever imagined writing when I set out on this blogging experiment just over three years ago. How many more will there be, I wonder?


No comments: