Saturday, December 12, 2009

A cynic looks for work

My freelance earnings have been so patchy of late that I've been thinking I may have to consider finding myself a semi-full-time job to give myself a bit of stability. [Groan]
 
 
And I thought I might have struck lucky last week when I ran into a fellow Brit who's leaving China shortly, and thus vacating his rather cushy job as an in-house editor/polisher/"language consultant" for one of the major IT companies (only 20 hours a week, modestly generous pay, and almost NO actual work, he tells me).  He said he'd put in a word for me.
 
Unfortunately, this acquaintance now tells me that the job placement is going to be handled by a headhunting agency, and he doesn't have any contact names there.
 
So, that's doomed then.  He's forwarded my CV to them - but nothing ever happens in China without a personal introduction (the guanxi principle: everything is based on 'relationships', not merit or propriety).
 
I observed ruefully to my new friend:
"I've seen how these recruiters and HR people work too many times before.  They'll file your recommendation in the 'Trash' folder.  And then, a day or two before they need to fill the position, they'll ask their cousin or their flatmate or their dentist if they know anyone who might fit the bill."
 
Ah, China.
 

2 comments:

Don Tai said...

Guanxi, that aspect of Chinese culture that my wife totally detests, is so all pervasive it's ridiculous. All you can do is roll your eyes, shrug and move on. Network and force yourself to talk to people you don't really know and don't want to know. It's like bitter medicine.

On the plus side you'll not have much reverse guanxi to pay back!

Froog said...

It is strange that something so medieval is still so pervasive in modern China - that even headhunters and HR managers will phone an old classmate for a recommendation rather than just looking at the applications in front of them.

I find myself a little ashamed that I am trying to play the game, trying to get a foot in the door through a personal introduction (and then getting resentful that I can't play the game well enough; that a foreigner recommending another foreigner is not going to carry much weight... certainly not as much weight as being the nephew of the hirer's chiropodist, say).