Monday, October 26, 2009

Beijing Noise Pollution Blues (3)

When I get back from the bar, I discover that there are a couple of workmen busy replacing the big plastic characters on the sign above the entrance to the big government building opposite my apartment block.
 
It is 12.30 at night and freezing cold.  And they are working 25ft up without safety harnesses.  I feel for them.
 
But they are working with electric drills.
 
What was that about a law against noisy working late at night???
 
 
Luckily, these drills aren't very loud.  And they're out the back of my apartment, the side that's well insulated from noise.  There are lots of other people in this neighbourhood it is going to bug the crap out of.
 
I mean, really, because it's a government building you can't replace the sign during the hours of daylight??
 
 
Yes, sorry.  I am going through one of my occasional periods of low tolerance for the eccentricities of this country.

No comments: