Monday, August 03, 2009

Bon mot for the week

"I have nothing against Jesus per se. He's one of my favourite fictional characters."


Froog


My friends' wives are always saying they're going to matchmake for me, but they very seldom get around to making any introductions. My hostility to organised religions is a particular obstacle in Christianity-crazy America, as one of the American wives has despairingly told me. My aversion to religion leads to the further - and perhaps even greater - problem that I could never agree to being married in church (indeed, my abhorrence of churches has grown more violent, positively Damien-like, with the passing years, to the point where I now feel very uncomfortable attending a friend's wedding in a church). I once quipped to my long-suffering American would-be matchmaker that perhaps I should warn potential dates of this off-putting idiosyncrasy of mine by wearing a t-shirt with the slogan: "You'll marry me in Vegas, or not at all."

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Erm -- that's good!

Except isn't there more historical evidence that Jesus existed than, say, Aristotle, Plato, Alexander the Great, etc?

Perhaps you like the 'Son of God' fictional bit best?

Froog said...

Well, as far as I know, outside of The Bible, there's only a brief reference in Josephus - which might just be recounting what's already become an 'urban legend' kind of thing. So, no, there's just about no historical evidence for his existence at all, I don't think. Although I doubt if you could found such a successful movement focused on a person who'd never existed.

However, the "Jesus" we know - exclusively through the New Testament - is quite clearly a fictional creation, a synthesis of many prior myths and superstitions... even if he is based on a real person and some of those events actually happened.

SM Blooding said...

Froog, I'm right there with you. For the most part, my friends have accepted me. My family is still trying to save me. But I'm fiiiine just the way I am.

I was married twice. Once in my front yard and once in a job trailer at a construction site.