Saturday, April 04, 2009

Inspiration

Last night I hung out with my old flame, The Poet. As part of her birthday present to me (six months late, but that's The Poet for you) she gave me The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2005 anthology. Dipping in at random, the first piece I came across was this - Manifesto, by George Saunders, from Slate magazine, celebrating the rise of the movement People Reluctant To Kill For An Abstraction (PRKA).

Saunders closes by saying:

To those who would oppose us, I would simply say: We are many. We are worldwide. We, in fact, outnumber you. Though you are louder, though you create a momentary ripple on the water of life, we will endure, and prevail.

Join us.

Resistance is futile.



This cheered me up tremendously. And I'm in a really obstinate depression at the moment. Do follow the link to read the whole piece (especially if you're a fenqing or a fenwai).

No comments: