Thursday, March 19, 2009

Still Life

Another favourite subject for my snapping.... Rather than more traditional, painterly studies, though, I usually prefer to get into extreme close-ups or quirky angles to render the objects more abstract, to concentrate on aspects of light or colour, form or texture.

For instance, I just adored the multiple reflections in this array of cocktail shakers, and took several pictures of it (though in retrospect I rather wished I'd moved the bottle of Tsingtao beer at left out of the way!).

And I can't now recall just how I got the perspective so distorted (or the focus so sharp) on this bunch of yellow roses, but I like the effect.

And there are some lovely colours, forms, and variations in light in this close-up of flower stems in a thick glass vase.

Ah, and this one, I suppose, is a bit more like a classic painter's exercise. The truth is, I was so bored at a charity dinner that I began photographing the cutlery to keep myself awake.

No comments: