Sunday, March 01, 2009

A noble lineage

I have never been much of a one for adopting a sense of institutional identity or institutional pride. My magnificent indifference to the competitive fortunes of my 'house' inspired a spiteful incomprehension in my housemaster throughout my school years. And although I mostly enjoyed my time at school and am grateful for the education I got there, I never felt the remotest sentimental attachment to the place: I have scarcely given it a second thought since I left, and I find the obsessive nostalgia of "old boys" associations quite baffling.

However, the devil is in the exceptions, as they say.

I do feel rather different about my old Oxford college, Corpus Christi. I don't have any love for it as an academic institution: I didn't like my tutors, was bored out of my wits by the work they gave me, and did almost nothing to advance my education while I was there - in that regard, it was four years of utmost misery. I never felt any sense of connectedness to the centuries of scholarship that had preceded me: some people get all dewy-eyed and mystically inspired about that sort of thing, but not me.

No, my sentiment for Corpus derives from the people I knew there, and the sense of 'home' that grew up around it. Far more than any of the other colleges at Oxford or Cambridge, I think, Corpus has a real feeling of community, even of 'family' about it. It's still one of the smallest colleges, if not the smallest. It's expanded quite a bit in the last couple of decades, but back in my day I think there were fewer than 200 undergraduates altogether, and about two-thirds of them lived in the main college buildings. So, everybody knew everybody. And I mean everybody. It was a little too claustrophobic for me, to be honest; most of my social activities were based on other colleges or university-wide organisations. But most of the friends I made elsewhere were people I'd met through friends in Corpus. And just about all of my very closest friends were from Corpus. It could scarcely be otherwise.

There was a 'band of brothers' bonding process in coming through those fraught few years together; so much shared suffering, and shared joy (all those parties!); going through the business of growing up together, emotionally as much as intellectually. The friends I made then are especially close to my heart, and I am still in regular touch with most of them twenty years on; they are about the only people whose doors are always open to me when I make my occasional trips back to the UK.

And so, I think, it is not so much with Corpus that I identify as with Corpuscles (as we quaintly term ourselves). Though my more distant predecessors are, for me, lost in a fog of historical irrelevance, the generations immediately before me, and those that have come after, I do feel a certain sense of kinship with, a recognition that we have shared a really exceptional, perhaps unique experience of university life.


I was therefore very gratified to learn earlier this week that my alma mater had just won the annual grand final of the long-running TV quiz show University Challenge. Coincidentally enough, the screening of their victory over Manchester University (and hence the public confirmation of their title as champions) happened on the very same day as my own recent bout of quiz recidivism. It seems to have been a particularly hard-fought encounter. We were behind for most of the match, at times quite badly behind; but we relentlessly reeled Manchester in, finally overhauled them near the end, and finished with quite a comfortable lead - having scored over 100 points on the bounce in the last five minutes or so. Jia you, Corpus!

The decisive factor in our victory, I gather, was our captain, a young lady called Gail Trimble - like me, a Classicist, although a considerably more earnest one, I think. It is being suggested that she is one of the most formidable competitors ever to appear on the show (in recent years, at least....): she consistently contributed at least twice as many points as her three team mates combined in each of the five rounds of the competition, and was extremely quick-on-the-draw for the crucial buzzer questions. Under that kind of pressure, almost anyone will have their mind go completely blank once in a while, or will at least occasionally pause or stumble over an answer (hesitations which, on the buzzer questions, can be ruthlessly penalised by the intimidating quizmaster, Jeremy Paxman); but in all the clips I've watched this week, Ms Trimble never seems to miss a beat - quite remarkable.


I am, of course, filled with a renewed sense of my own inadequacy in competitions of this sort, and am doubting whether I will ever dare to take part in a quiz again. Quizzers everywhere - British quizzers, anyway - are probably feeling the same.

10 comments:

FionaJane said...

There is something up on the BBC website saying that they are investigating allegations that one of the Corpus team was ineligible. Sadly it doesn't relate to Trimble: I thought she was ghastly, and I don't think that's jealousy either. I just find the 'random fact repository' school of intelligence at best unappealing - and on tetchy grey Sundays like this one, mildly repulsive...

Anonymous said...

Well, there's always the Bookworm.

Froog said...

Don't tell me one of the Corpus team had a Chinese passport suggesting she was years older (or younger) than he or she actually was!

FJ, you have been known to retain a large number of random facts yourself. Come now. We all do it.

It's interesting that Trimble has become such a C-celeb over this. As a bit of a triv-nut myself, I have respect for her random repositoriness. And as a Corpuscle, I am glad that she was on our team. She doesn't seem to be a very interesting or attractive person aside from this, though. Classicists seldom are!

Froog said...

Weeble, I don't think the Bookworm is a 'proper' quiz.

The questions aren't tough enough and the prizes are intoxicating enough.

Froog said...

Sorry - that obviously should have been "aren't intoxicating enough" in that last grump.

(Hmm, I wonder if I can change my comment form to read 'Grumps' rather than 'Comments'....)

FionaJane said...

The suggestion is that one of them was no longer a current student (it sounds as if he had been an undergrad, been accepted to do a DPhil but had not got funding and had therefore - this is the real killer - become an accountant). I'm sure Corpus would love to hear from the Chinese olympic team on how best to sort out the paperwork.

And I do occasionally retain facts, but not deliberately. Unlike some people we know.

Froog said...

I imagine Our Rog (presumably still hanging around the Union Bar at the weekends reading the Encyclopedia Britannica and Burke's Peerage, when he's not popping up on TV as Mr By-Election) is deeply smitten and contemplating a marriage proposal to Ms Trimble.

Or did you mean Mr Nags??


It seems to me that the retention of facts is largely a natural process, over which one can't exercise that much conscious control. However, the deliberate acquisition of facts by serious quizzers has always struck me as a rather sad and misguided pastime. I'm quite good at quizzes because I have a naturally retentive memory and I read a lot; but I don't go around rote-learning lists of all the FA Cup winners by year, etc. Our local quiz nemesis here in Beijing, "The Trivia Queen", is so earnest about it that she really does spend large chunks of her spare time trying to learn all the flags of the world and so on.

In defence of Mr Nags, I would say that I don't think I've ever seen him thus wilfully imbibing information. Well, other than raceform, that is.


I am deeply shamed by my college's chicanery, and shall never mention its name in public again.

Froog said...

By the way, I initially wrote "lags of the world" back there. I wonder if that could be a band name.

FionaJane said...

Think of it the other way round. Is there anything which couldn't actually be a band name?

You've probably seen, but Corpus have been disqualified and stripped of the title. Sounds as if it was an innocent mistake, but rules is rules. I'm just hoping that the poor guy can find a civilian equivalent of the witness protection programme to protect him from the inevitable wrath of the Trimble. Or perhaps she gets all weepy and girlie. That would be really grim.

And on the fact retention thing - we know quite a lot of people who do it, don't we? From your response, I have a sneaking suspicion you do too. I actually really struggle to retain factual information - I'm much better at linking ideas than remembering them in the first place. Next time you're stuck in a long dull discussion with Mr N, and he's sober enough not to slur too much, you could ask him about the way we do cryptic crosswords. He starts from the clues and what he knows. I tend to start with the grid and a bit of hope and inspiration. Unsurprisingly, we usually work better in combination than alone...

Froog said...

Some folks got the gift for it, I suppose. I actually used to enjoy learning vocab lists and dates and so on at school, because it was so easy. And I especially liked learning poems by heart, though I know a lot of people hated it. It's an excellent form of memory training.

Being a teacher is even better. When I first started out, I never thought I'd be able to remember the names of 20 or 30 pupils in a single class, 200 or 300 that I was teaching in each year - but after a few months, it becomes quite easy. It's harder here with business classes, where I'm only seeing them once a week, and attendance is very patchy: but I'm still usually able to get all the names nailed in 2 or 3 weeks.

Have you read The Memory Palace Of Matteo Ricci? Perhaps more Mr N's thing than yours, but one of the great China books.