Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Sidebar!

I know, I know - this blog is getting too darned BIG for its own good.

My old college drinking buddy The Bookseller complained to me over a year ago that he feared to visit too often because it was possible "to get lost for days in the labyrinthine corridors of your blogs".

Perhaps I should look into getting a new and more flexible template, or maybe even a custom-made blog platform - drop-down menus, pop-up balloons, Flash animations, a site map?? No, no, I really can't be bothered. Sorry.

However, there is quite a lot of good stuff hidden over there on the right-hand side of the page. It's worth your while to scroll down and take a look at some of my archived stuff (not least because I am hellishly busy this week, and probably won't be posting any more for a while).


I particularly commend my two joke depositories over on companion blog Barstool Blues - one for bar jokes, and the other originally for Irish jokes, but now for 'bad' jokes of any kind.

I also have a list of interactive 'competitions': fellow Beijingers can share with me the lowest taxi driver registration number they encounter each month; anyone can make suggestions for amusing potential rock band names, sum up their life in a six-word epigraph, offer a great name for a bar, or share the 'found humour' of a favourite amusing film credit or misheard song lyric.... and more.

Then there's my list of (would-be) 'Great Debates' - though, alas, the only two that have kicked off at all so far are Is Chinese food terrible? and Which is the best Coen brothers film? Is Beijing or Shanghai the better city to live in? continues to be sadly overlooked.....

Fellow YouTube enthusiasts can find a summary of my embedded video clips to date here and here.

And there are several other links to recommended favourite posts of mine from way back in my early days.

You can even - should you be interested - find my New Year's Resolutions for this year (and last).


And finally, of course, there is the opportunity for you to offer your own review of my blogs - good, bad, or ugly, I really don't care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how The Bookseller feels.

On the other hand, this is a very pleasant place to stop by when one has just a few minutes and doesn't want to get caught up in ongoing bloggish dramas extending over weeks or even months (special limited-edition extended director's cut DVD forthcoming in Spring '09).

If I had a laptop or one of those Internet-accessing e-books, I think I'd leave it on my coffee table at home, with the home page set to Froogville. I can imagine company pretty much just sitting on the sofa, suddenly realizing there's a gleaming electronic bauble on the coffee table, leaning forward to switch it on, and voila: 2- to 10-minute time slices on pretty much any topic a normal (?!?) human being (?!?!?) might care to browse through.

And then of course I can imagine them hearing me whistle on my way from the kitchen, and furtively but hurriedly closing the machine down.

Froog said...

Why, thank you, JES. Very kind indeed. And a new designation for my oeuvre - the 'coffee table blog'!

I am in negotiations over film rights, as it happens - although, of course, the Hollywood people are saying they want more 'story'. I think I should pitch them Barstool Blues instead for that.