Monday, January 05, 2009

Review of the Year - Froog recommends.... another bon mot

Regular readers (there are at least a few of you, though you mostly lurk) will probably have noticed that I've started contributing my own observations as the 'weekly bon mot' rather more often this past year. This is one of my favourite examples - me consoling myself for my abrupt sacking at the beginning of the year by riffing on Voltaire.

I notice - in searching this out - that I also mentioned Voltaire in passing in this post, one of my few poetic offerings this last year: a translation of a famous piece by Catullus.



A bon mot double whammy

first posted on 28th January



"Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need."

Voltaire (1694-1778)


"Unemployment spares us from three evils: drudgery, management, and fatigue."

Froog

No comments: